Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

can I add just add a stick of 512 to my 256??

Will my computer improve performance beyond the 512MB ram if I leave the 256MB in the 1st DIMM slot, and just add the 512 to it??

Is that possible or does the ram in dimm slot 2 need to match dimm slot 1?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can I add just add a stick of 512 to my 256??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can I add just add a stick of 512 to my 256??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't see a problem

In reply to: can I add just add a stick of 512 to my 256??

I started out with 128 MB RAM in my PC when I bought it and then I added another 256 MB and never had a problem.
The only thing that confuses me a little is that when I open my System icon in Control Panel, it tells me I have 368 MB. 256+128=384...so why doesn't the extra 16 MB show up?

Collapse -
NO

NO, not all computers will allow you to do this.

Go to

http://www.crucial.com/

and see if your computer is compatable.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
re

Hi. You can usually add sticks of different values but some types of memory require matching pairs. Your manual will tell you if this is so. On the matter of whether going beyond 512 meg will increase your computer's performance,that depends on whether you are doing rocket science, streaming video or are the hottest gamer on the block. 512 is enough for most activity amd additional memory tends to give only marginal performance improvement.However you will see a difference when you increase from 256. Hope this is helpful. Stewart

Collapse -
Some computers

In reply to: re

Some computers will NOT allow you to go past a certain ammount. It is stated in your owners manual, however if you lost it or misplaced it you can go to Crutial to find out for sure

And that's the correct answer

Collapse -
Hi Pudgy

In reply to: Some computers

You are right.
I should explain that I was not responding to your post but when you type with one finger, a dozen other people can post before you can break into print. Happy Take care Stewart

Collapse -
It's ok, Stewart

In reply to: Hi Pudgy

It's ok, Stewart. I know for a fact. My computer that I am currently using can only take 512mb sdram. If I go over it I can have problems. This is why I tried to clarify the subject.

Collapse -
depends read this

go to

http://www.crucial.com/

and use there Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool after step 3 a new page will come up on the left hand side of the page you will see system specs there you will see maximum memory make sure this is 768mb or more as putting to much ram into your system can have irreversible effects and will probably end up costing you a load of money

hope this helps dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.