Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can I Access My Secondary HD????

by mongoose_unleashed / August 11, 2005 4:27 AM PDT

Operating system- Computer-WIN XP PRO
Pentium 4, 3.00GHz, 512MB of RAM

Okay bare with me ...first time writing on a message board.

Old comp crashed, Mother board crapped out. Removed HD to place as a secondary in new system to extract info and put into new comp and new HD. Everything is set correctly (ie:jumpers ribbon power) Properly installed as a secondry to New HD. Now in comp management I can see it but I cannot acess it asks me to format drive. Now as I stated above same Op Sys Win XP PRO.

Is there anything else i can try to extract the info of this it is for a small buissness and was not backed up. Anything...I will try it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I Access My Secondary HD????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I Access My Secondary HD????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 5:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
by chuckieu / August 11, 2005 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Try a KNOPPIX CD.

Recently started playing with an old 380D Thinkpad. First I wiped it, then fdisk, then 98se(2G HDD). For a long time it would not read the 98se disk. Never figured out why. Anyway, I said "No problem." Popped in Knoppix 3.7.
??? Wouldn't read it either. I thought Knoppix could be read by all Unix/Linux and Windows up to 98se/ME. Maybe not NTFS, but everything else. It was like someone p*^%$%&^ in my Wheaties. Got it set up nicely with 98se now, but not being able to problem solve with Knoppix kind of threw me. chuck

Collapse -
Some 3x0 Thinkpad history.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob

We had many IBM 7xx and 3x0 models way back when. We were nonplused about IBM's reply to our 5 or more laptops that would have nothing to do with CDR or CDRW media (which read fine on desktops all over.)

We never found a fix but didn't buy IBM laptops that next year.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?