Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can I Access My Old HD????

by mongoose_unleashed / August 11, 2005 4:13 AM PDT

Operating system- Computer-WIN XP PRO
HD OpSys-WIN XP PRO
Pentium 4, 3.00GHz, 512MB of RAM

Okay bare with me ...first time writing on a message board.

Old comp crashed, Mother board crapped out. Removed HD to place as a secondary in new system to extract info and put into new comp and new HD. Everything is set correctly (ie:jumpers ribbon power) Properly installed as a secondry to New HD. Now in comp management I can see it but I cannot acess it asks me to format drive. Now as I stated above same Op Sys Win XP PRO.

Is there anything else i can try to extract the info of this drive...as it is for a small buissness and was not backed up. Anything...I will try it.

Sam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I Access My Old HD????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I Access My Old HD????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us the history of the old drive.
by Ray Harinec / August 11, 2005 9:56 AM PDT

Any chance that it was formatted previously using an overlay program??

Can you boot with a Win 98 floppy and run FDISK to see what is on the drive with regards to formats/ partitions etc???

Collapse -
Nope Couldn't have been
by mongoose_unleashed / August 12, 2005 12:32 AM PDT

I have done all the work on the HD....I'm not an expert on comps but i dod not think i could attempt a boot from a Win 98 if the Op Sys is Win XP. Was i incorrect in that assumption???

And thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

Collapse -
What was..
by Dick White / August 12, 2005 2:30 AM PDT

What was the operating system of the old crashed computer?

Regarding booting from a different version, what he means is this: The operating system that is loaded into the computer's memory at boot is the operating system that exists in the boot track of the booting device. The rest of the hardware has no idea what it will be booted into until that boot track is read. Typically the boot device is the hard drive, which for your new computer is XP. But you aren't required to boot from the hard disk. You could set the boot priority in the BIOS to boot first from the floppy drive, and then put a Win98 bootable floppy in the drive. That same computer will boot Win98 despite the fact that XP is what is on the hard disk. Now comes the tricky part. The new hard disk probably formatted to NTFS. Thus when you do this little Win98 bootable floppy trick, the new drive will be unreadable because Win98 doesn't support NTFS. But that's not what we are struggling with. It's the old drive which you have set out there as secondary. When you boot with a bootable Win98 floppy, can Win98 read the old drive (which will be D)? If so, we just need to find a way to get XP (after it boots from the hard drive) to read it too.

dw

Collapse -
Overlay????
by mongoose_unleashed / August 12, 2005 12:35 AM PDT

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Srry if you could explain it would be helpful for me to answer your Q

Collapse -
Overlay is:
by Dick White / August 12, 2005 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Overlay????

In the olden days, hard drive technology always seemed to get ahead of motherboard developer's expectations. They'd build motherboards with enough addressing capability to support 128 megabyte drives and soon after the drive manufacturers invented 200 MB drives. Then new motherboards were developed to support 512 MB, and the drive makers came up with 1G drives. And so on, every year the drive makers would make bigger and bigger drives, but only the newest motherboards could use them.

To satisfy the needs of customers with older motherboards, the drive makers came up with overlay techniques. By interposing an overlay table between the motherboard (with the lower limit) and the drive that fooled the motherboard into thinking it was small enough to be supported while giving the operating system access to the full capacity.

Unfortunately, when a drive with such an overlay is transferred to a computer that can natively support the full drive size, the overlay table will confuse things, making the drive unreadable.

dw

Collapse -
Thank You
by mongoose_unleashed / August 12, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Overlay is:

Thanks for the explanation for overlay's And no it hasn't been overlaid. So I took the recommendation for trying Knoppix ...i'm trying to purchase the disk rather than the download. So thanks if i have another problem after that i'll post some other ******** Q's.

If there are any other options other than Knoppix Please Let me no. Thanks.

Collapse -
$30+/- buys:
by Dick White / August 12, 2005 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You
one of these. Install the old drive in there and plug it into the USB port. Windows is not "in charge of" the file structure of an external drive, so it just reads the data. After you've extracted your critical files, you could then just reformat the disk and now you have a XYZ-Gb external storage device - perfect for making those backups that you now belated lament you hadn't been doing...

dw
Collapse -
Any other options
by Ajak / August 21, 2005 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You
Collapse -
Idle thoughts.
by Bob__B / August 12, 2005 6:18 AM PDT

The old machine ran xp.

The new machine runs xp.

The old machine did not require an overlay to see the entire hd.

The old machine blew up.

What if....it took the hd with it. Sad

Tried the CS position for the hd jumpers and the proper cable plugs to each hd?

Collapse -
Try This
by lizzyhock / August 15, 2005 7:00 AM PDT

I just did this on windows ME
Keep the old HD connected in as a 'slave' or 'secondary' drive HD, and your other the one that came with the computer you are trying to transfer files too as 'primary' or 'Master' HD go to MY COMPUTER right click on it and on the drop down menu select explore.
This will list all your hard drives click the + sign next to the drives, and it will list all the contents thereof each drive.
Drag and drop the folders from the 'slave' drive to the 'master' drive. You can drag and drop them into all the appropriate folders, as long as the folder name is different then the one you are dropping it into.
You might want to rename the folders and add OLDHD to the back of all the folder names that way you don't confuse yourself.
Keep a list of the folder names you moved so when you disconnect the 'slave' drive. you can go to find files and folders and hunt for them. At least that is how I did it on ME
Hope this helps
lizzyhock

Collapse -
Partition magic 8
by steviegee1964 / August 19, 2005 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Sorry to may be seem a little silly but have you tried using Partition magic 8. It has an in built program that can read any drive even if its not visible to windows, you can then use the explorer window it uses to copy and paste whatever is on the drive.
If you get the program just open it up right click on the drive your trying to get to and click on explore.
Just a thought. Might not work.

Collapse -
USB drive box.
by stewart6 / August 19, 2005 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Listen to **** White. The external drive-box is the hastle-free way to go. You will also find a dozen other uses for the box which,in my opinion, is the best gadget since the mouse. Good luck. Stewart

Collapse -
access to hard drive
by gofgolf / August 23, 2005 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: USB drive box.

I have experienced a similar problem.

Windows XP home version started running slower and slower. Performed spring cleaning as advised by CNetand ran two virus programs at different times and searched for Trojans. Accessed configuration utility and shut down certain start programs and things ran well for about a week. Suddenly Windows ran through its boot up and I got an error message that browseUI.dll could not be found. By now I had spent so many hours trying alternatives that I abandoned my Compaq 5400 US.
I'm about to take the advice of **** White and get a USB drive box. My question -- -- -- will the misery in my old hard drive (which may be a Trojan) be transferred to my new computer?

Collapse -
For Gofgolf
by stewart6 / August 24, 2005 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: access to hard drive

Hi there. If you transfer the contents of your old drive as a ghost type transfer then you will obviously transfer everything, warts and all. However you can safely transfer files and folders individually providing you check them first to be sure they are kosher.Greetings Stewart

Collapse -
You may be right about damage.
by Brianstech / August 19, 2005 1:23 AM PDT

You mentioned the possibility of the hard drive frying along with the motherboard. Probably a good guess.

I just received a Presario 6000 with what was said to be a bad MB. I ordered and installed a new Asrock ($45 w/sh from Newegg), everything went great until I pushed the button. The Maxtor 40g drive was recognized, but wasn't accessible. Tried it in 2 other PC's as primary and secondary with the same results. I threw in a different Maxtor and installed Windows. Runs great.

It would appear that the mainboard took the HD with it when it died. That may also be your case.

Collapse -
Access to old HD
by skycatcher / August 19, 2005 4:07 AM PDT

There is also another Genius of a program that you should try... 'Spinrite 6'. Once again just boot from a 98 bootable disk, then insert the floppy with Spinrite 6 on it and run it. It will recognise any FAT or NTFS format. If the HD is readable, it can do 'NON destructive' low-level formatting and correct any errors at the same time. It is also brilliant at retrieving data from corrupted sectors. Try it on a new drive and see how many errors you have that you didn't know about. Mike

Collapse -
spinrite 6
by migr8rx8 / August 19, 2005 5:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Access to old HD

This sounds great, only where can you get this program? I just checked Tucows and a search comes up with nothing. I have an older Gateway running XP that has some sort of problem with the HD that won't let me access My Documents and it's driving me crazy because I can't access about 1000 pictures of my grand daughters or about 6,000 MP3 files. When I try to access the files it just says "Access denied". Will spinrite 6 allow me to access these files?

Collapse -
Spinrite 6
by skycatcher / August 19, 2005 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: spinrite 6
Collapse -
Re: spinrite software
by migr8rx8 / August 20, 2005 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Spinrite 6

Thanks Mike,

I just purchased and downloaded the spinrite program. I try to figure out how to run a bootable disc and then use it with my old computer that has the HD problem.

Thanks again,
Terry

Collapse -
Okay, next problem is............
by migr8rx8 / August 21, 2005 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: spinrite software

I burned a bootable disc of the spinrite program and tried to install it on the old computer that I'm having trouble with the HD. Instructions from spinrite tell me I have to boot from the spinrite program and to go into my BIOS settings by using either "F2" or ''delete'' upon normal bootup. I can't get it to work. I tried both, but my computer continues to bootup as it normally does. How do I get into my BIOS settings and what do I do to make my system bootup from the disc that I burned?

Collapse -
Using Spinrite
by Ajak / August 21, 2005 11:37 AM PDT

Install & run Spinrite from a Floppy Disk, change the boot sequence in the BIOS, to boot from Floppy. Better still, go to Spinrite web-site for info, they have an excellent forum.

You can also try READNTFS.EXE first (look in Google).

Ajak.

Collapse -
Reply to "Can i access my old hard disk"
by Rajan / August 19, 2005 10:56 PM PDT

Try using the same kindor Model of Motherboard,as the Bois settings will differ.Good luck. Rajan

Collapse -
Can't access Old drive?
by BugbeeBaxter / August 20, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

Hi,
I don't know if this is possible...I'm just pulling from "old" experience here. Some computer systems come from the manufacturer with a certain hard drive partitioning for tools, restoration, utilities etc... Is it possible that your old drive falls into this category or (not being real familiar with XP) that the old drive is in NTSF & the new one is in Fat32?

Collapse -
Reply to Can I Access My Old HD????
by lcutshaw / August 20, 2005 5:48 AM PDT

If you wish to port the data and etc from the old drive to the new, I would recommend imaging the original drive and then porting that image to the new drive. This would require a 3rd drive but would be optimal. Acronis offers several versions of drive imagin tools which I use True Image being the one of chocie. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?