Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Can explain to me what PCIe speed 100mhz controls?

Mine is set to target speed 100mhz but it is reporting it at 0mhz. This may be a really dumb question but I can not wrap my head around what exactly this setting controls. I am wondering if it is for something I do not have or do not use (such as a SLI config or something)

My hardware -
asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 motherboard
AMD 8350fx cpu
Radeon R9 270x gpu
16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
corsair 750w psu

Thanks for any replies.

EricVG has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can explain to me what PCIe speed 100mhz controls?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can explain to me what PCIe speed 100mhz controls?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by EricVG

Collapse -
There's a good article from Tom's Hardware

In reply to: Can explain to me what PCIe speed 100mhz controls?

They talk about this Here

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Odd

In reply to: There's a good article from Tom's Hardware

I am starting to grasp what the setting is but now I am at a loss as to why mine is showing -

Target speed - 100 MHz
Current speed - 0.0 MHz

That can't be right. I am using AMD Overdrive. I am not trying to OC. I was just using the turbo setting and fan control when I noticed this. I wonder if it is not displaying the frequency because of the pcie slot I am using? I am not using the 1st slot on my mobo but it is still an x16 slot. Strange. Wish I was more of an expert when it comes to these things. Thanks for the link.

Collapse -
Many of the speed measurement systems

In reply to: Odd

Are buggy so you know to ignore oddities like this. If you can't you contact the author of the app.

Second thing, remember that most PCs have POWER SAVING TRICKS so if the slot is empty or in a power save mode, current speed can be as shown.

Not much of a mystery after all.

Collapse -
My thinking as well, however...

In reply to: Many of the speed measurement systems

When you've been having lots of PC problems and you are very suspicious of the motherboard already....these types of little quirks are simply hard to shrug off. If this was HWmonitor or something I would dismiss it without a second thought and would not have even made the post. I am aware of how buggy these types or programs are. I have a feeling there is a reason why this option is grayed out though. I will try to contact AMD. There is very little info about this that I can find anywhere.

Collapse -
The topic is not about motherboard problems.

In reply to: My thinking as well, however...

You may want to start a discussion about those problems. Here we are chatting about 0MHz and how that might be just fine.

Collapse -
Ok

In reply to: The topic is not about motherboard problems.

I really do not think there is anything terrible going on. I do, however, think there is a reason that the reading is not being displayed. It is not crucial right now though as I have a new GTX 1060 on the way. After installing everything to do with the new card I will check again. If there is still an issue I will probably make a new thread. Until then, thanks a bunch for all the timely replies. I see you answering a lot of threads around here. I hope you know that everyone appreciates it quite a bit.

Collapse -
Nice choice.

In reply to: Ok

I'm sure you'll like the 1060. And thanks for the nice comment.

Collapse -
Slot

In reply to: Odd

Some mobo's specify that for best perf to use the pcie slot closest to the cpu.

Your mobo does not specify that but it might be best to move your gpu.

Collapse -
You are correct

In reply to: Slot

I does actually state just that in the mobo manual. When I first built the system (over 3 years ago) I originally had it placed in the 1st slot. My memory is not what it used to be but if I recall correctly the computer would not post until I moved it into the 3rd slot. I want to try putting it in the 1st slot again now. Is there anything I should do before moving it? Or will it be just fine? Thanks a bunch.

Collapse -
Moving

In reply to: You are correct

Not that I'm aware of but others may know of something.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.