Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can Electronically Scan Documents on Hard Drive?

by flingwing / August 22, 2009 11:39 AM PDT

I have a Canon Canoscan N67OU scanner and ScanSoft OmniPage 16. Scanning paper documents is not a problem.

Question: Is it possible to have OmniPage or another program directly scan a digital document residing on my hard drive? This would mean not having to print the document first, and physically scanning the printout using the scanner? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Electronically Scan Documents on Hard Drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Electronically Scan Documents on Hard Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: scanning.
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 7:24 PM PDT

What exactly do you want to do?

Say, you've got (a) a .xls spreadsheet with 3 worksheets, (b) a 3-page Word document, (c) a .jpg picture of your beloved one and (d) a .mp3 music file on your hard drive.
What, in that 4 cases, is the result of the scanning process you've got in mind?

Kees

Collapse -
What I should've said . . .
by flingwing / August 22, 2009 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: scanning.

Kees, yeah, I just realized what I said isn't very clear :-/

What I really want is OCR work - optical character recognition. That is, taking a document (say from the internet) saved as an image on my hard drive and running OCR on it to make an editable file.

Is this possible? I can't see a way to do it using ScanSafe OmniPage 16. Thanks.

Collapse -
A little more clarification . . .
by flingwing / August 22, 2009 9:53 PM PDT

To be exact, I'm talking about a text document (page) saved as an image file (gif,jpg, tif, etc.) and having that scanned electronically and OCR'ed into text without having to print the page and flat-bed scanning it.

Collapse -
Re: scanning
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 9:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
3 or 4 in which direction?
by flingwing / August 22, 2009 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: scanning

Kees, thanks. Let?s take this from the top. First, the URL you posted <http://www.nuance.com/imaging/omnipage/comparisons/omnipage-document-input-features.asp> is is talking about OmniPage 17, not 16.

But, assuming the steps are the same in my version, I clicked ?HOME?. You said the info was ?3 or 4 clicks from the home page?.

On the home page I guessed and selected ?Resources? from the banner at the top of the page.

Then I selected ?How to Guides? from the left menu.

That trail was then: Wikis

Collapse -
Misunderstanding.
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 11:53 PM PDT

I meant to say that I found their WEBSITE mentioning that it could convert image files to text after 3 or 4 clicks from their websites home page. I don't have the program, neither version 16 nor version 17, so I can't tell you how to do it, just that it can be done in version 17 (and most likely in version 16 also, it's a rather basic feature).

So all I can say: check the help and the manual and keep trying. If no other help comes here, try our PC Utities forum http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6138_102-0.html?forumID=31. Somebody having the program might know and answer. But, sorry, that won't be me.

Kees

Collapse -
Signed, Sealed, and Delivered <g>
by flingwing / August 23, 2009 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Misunderstanding.

Kees, I finally did get it to work on two tests, now. The problem is this: the instructions in the program?s HELP for this still-new-to-me version 16 says the following.

To load image files into OmniPage for automatic processing:
1. Select 1-2-3 in the Workflow drop-down list (NOTE: it's an icon).
2. Click the Start button with Load Files selected in the Get Page drop-down list.

The Load Files dialog box appears.
-----------

That?s not true. No ?Load Files? dialog appears. A bunch of other choices show up, but nothing resembling loading a file from any storage drive/device.

However, by clicking buttons I found the ?Load Files? dialog under the standard program ?FILES? button at the top left of the page. There was the ?Load Files? choice followed by more dialog.

I tested two image files containing text (one an identification card) and it read the text of both perfectly.

So thanks for giving me the impetus to keep trying until I discovered the route to use. Just to mention, I have found this often since switching to Windows XP-type programs. MS Word has little errors throughout its Help file instructions that don't match what I find using the program. It drives me crazy. Adobe Acrobat is another example of an insane(!) help file. It states things about its selection arrow that are patently not true.

Thanks again. Now I know how to OCR a loaded image document. Cheers.

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Thanks for telling.
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2009 1:56 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?