PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can cheap power supply cause loop errors

by Scott Swinyard / September 2, 2004 6:37 AM PDT

Soyo p4x400, via chipset, 512 corsair pc3200 running at 333, (personally I dont think via is true 400 mhz but it loops either way) ATI radeon 9500 pro, cheap 550 watt powers supply. (I cant remember the brand but the 250 that was in my k62 was significantly heavier)

I've tried drivers for both the video card and the motherboard, bios settings and rage 3d tweaker but nothing seems to affect it. It will loop on the destop in a game or when the screen is dark and the hd has spun down.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can cheap power supply cause loop errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can cheap power supply cause loop errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ATI RAGE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 6:41 AM PDT

That's a very very very old video card. But even the cheesiest 550W supply I've seen delivers 450 Watts with ease. I'll write it's more likely a heat issue or some part you recycled has begun to fail.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Rage?? The card? No. ATI 9500 Pro 128 MB.
by Scott Swinyard / September 2, 2004 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: ATI RAGE?

Rage 3D is the driver tweaker for ATI cards.

Collapse -
Tweakers are best tossed out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 8:27 AM PDT

When I see issues, I toss any overclocker/tweaker software out since I need boring and stable.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I was just saying that I can't tweak out the problem.
by Scott Swinyard / September 2, 2004 8:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Define "loop"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 8:47 AM PDT

Some mean the display is looping as in the screen rolls like a TV that's lost it's vertical sync. Some mean it reboots. The SOYO from memory will be harsh on owners since Microsoft doesn't install motherboard drivers and more.

Inspect the motherboard capacitors for crowned tops or leaking fluid.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Define "loop"
by Scott Swinyard / September 2, 2004 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Define "loop"

Windows XP reports that "The video driver got stuck in an infinite loop" This generally results in a reboot, however not always. In games it will lock. then go dark and then come back on garbled. The sound returns but the computer is totally unresponsive. Sometimes I can get out of that by pressing the power button and it will shutdown. It used to reboot out of games sometimes but doesn't seem to do it anymore. On the desktop it seems to just lock then reboot after showing an instant of a garbled unreadable blue screen.
It seems to happen more in games, but can happen anytime. Little things like opening a console in a certain game or any random program on the desktop like IE can seem to set it off, or it can happen spontaneously.
It's been like this since I had it and I assumed it was driver related. My caps look ok.

Collapse -
That's a software issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2004 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Define "loop"

My answer is "no, it's not the power supply."

I have seen this when people install just the Windows OS. Drivers for motherboard, USB, update the BIOS and what else? Sometimes they install the drivers from some CD that came with the products and those were rushed out the door as the ship date arrived...

I know you know this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Had a friend with Intel cpu
by Ray Harinec / September 3, 2004 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Define "loop"

and ATI AIW Radeon 9700 PRO. The problem was appaently caused by having "fast writes" enabled. ATI Tech support said to disable fast writes but really did not know why that worked at the time.

Collapse -
I located my notes from ATI Tech support
by TONI H / September 3, 2004 1:13 AM PDT

These are the things he had me do....and SMARTGART was at the top of list.

1. Disable Smartgart at Start/RUN/smartgart and press Enter.....it gives options. One of those options I tried also was to turn down the AGP to 4X. Another option was to Turn Off FastWrite in the Smartgart program. Do these last two first to see if the problem goes away and if it doesn't then use the DISABLE option instead to turn off the program completely.

2. Set the monitor to optimal instead of the HZ listed.

3. In the Bios, Increase AGP VOLTAGE by 0.1 increments and keep rebooting and increasing it by that much until you see the problem stop. Mine was set at 1.5 by default and I only had to kick it up to 1.7 before I noticed the problem quit.

4. Uncheck Enable Write Combining...this might be in Smartgart (I didn't mark on my notes where I was able to do this).

5. Reset the Bios temperature to a lower amount to see which audible comes on....or DISABLE all Bios temp settings.

6. As a last resort I was told to reset the system down to 533 instead of 800 in the Bios, but I never had to get that far before the problem was resolved.

Hope some of this helps....

TONI

Collapse -
Thanx, friend. The way that you keep
by Ray Harinec / September 3, 2004 1:20 AM PDT

records is absolutely amazing. I only remembered the Fast Writes part. LOL

Collapse -
BTW, all sites that mentioned the AGP
by Ray Harinec / September 3, 2004 8:19 AM PDT

voltage said to NOT go above 1.7 volts.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) mine is 1.6 after rechecking it just now...
by TONI H / September 3, 2004 8:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Ok As I said...
by Scott Swinyard / September 3, 2004 8:58 PM PDT

I tried all available drivers for the mobo and video, but I'll check the stuff you said Toni. I hope I don't end up having an AGPX problem but I've had fast write both on and off.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?