General discussion

Can cds also pick up and spread viruses?

I know floppy disks can, but can store bought cds?

I installed new software on my computer last week. After the installation, I found a bloodhound virus in my computer. Norton said it could not be repaired, but I was able to delete it.

I am unable to use my new software, I believe due to the virus. (Pages won't open). I am wanting to use another person's computer to use the software, but am unsure if the virus could have attached itself to the cds somehow. Can these cds become infected and pass this virus into other computers? There is one installation cd, and 2 data cds. They are not rewritable.
Thanks for any help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can cds also pick up and spread viruses?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can cds also pick up and spread viruses?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Sometimes *but RARELY* store bought cds can have viruses already on them. I would suggest reporting this to the software company *they should have a technical support number somewhere on the box or manual* and getting a replacement copy of the software you bought.

- Collapse -

So the only way for it to be infected is if it had a virus in it when I bought it? It can't pick it up from my computer? I ask because I was having problems with windows not opening before I bought the software. It is a good idea to get replacement cds, but I am suspecting the virus was already there.

- Collapse -
unless you write to cd with a burner

from an infectid file the answer is no

- Collapse -
AV Scan

Put the cd in your cd reader unit.

Point your AV at that unit.

Tell it scan.

If clean, cd should be safe to move to another machine.

I doubt that you can add a virus to a store bought cd.

CNET Forums

Forum Info