General discussion

Can Auto Motion Plus be turned off for streaming video?

We love our Samsung LN46C650 flat screen but very much disliked the default Auto Motion Plus feature as it makes motion pictures look like a soap opera video recording. After some digging, I figured it was the Auto Motion Plus. I disabled it and the picture turned back to normal - beautiful. But for some reason, streaming videos have Auto Motion Plus as default and turning off the Auto Motion Plus does not turn it off for streaming. All of my Netflicks movies look like soap opera video recordings.

Does someone know how to turn off Auto Motion Plus for streaming videos as well? I am considering buying another Samsung but will not buy one unless I can turn off this feature for streaming video.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can Auto Motion Plus be turned off for streaming video?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can Auto Motion Plus be turned off for streaming video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Can Auto Motion Plus be turned off for streaming video? -

efflores,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

That option may be available by pressing the TOOLS button while streaming. Is this using Netflix through the TV, or a connected player like a Blu-Ray or game console?

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Thanks for your prompt reply! I have the TV directly connected via ethernet cable. I believe when I tried to verify the setting while streaming, I had to get out of the streaming mode to get into tools. Some people on the blogs have said this feature is source dependent, that is it needs to be set for each source. Don't know if this is true given when I turned it off it turned off for both the cable box and my Samsung Blue Ray player. Others have said if you turn "Game mode on", auto motion plus turns off for everything .. don't know if that includes streaming, haven't tried that yet. I really appreciate your help!

- Collapse -

efflores,

AutoMotion Plus is source dependent, so the setting on HDMI-1 and the setting on HDMI-2 can be entirely different, since two different signals can reproduce two different results that you may not want to constantly change just because you change inputs.

That would be a nightmare, really, if "one setting" was applied to every input without it being source specific. So they are source dependent.

Game Mode will effectively strip most of the processing, except, of course, the up-converting signal so that the picture can be displayed on the panel. (480, 720p, 1080i >>upconverted>> 1080p on a 1080p panel, for example because that is necessary processing that must happen). But it's also designed to reduce lag. In exchange, some picture processing that IS good for streaming would be stripped, so that's not the best answer either.

So I ran Netflix this evening, and found the AutoMotion Plus feature, however I can see how it might be missed:

So pressing Tools during a Netflix movie:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/Tools.jpg
Choose Picture Settings

Then this menu will appear:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/Tools1.jpg
Scroll down further, since there are more options than what are initially shown on the screen.

Then you'll see the options to adjust the AutoMotion Plus feature for Netflix:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/Tools2.jpg
Here you can adjust those options (Off, Smooth, Custom, etc.)

This way, you don't have to turn off the processing in the Game Mode, and you can adjust the playback experience.

I didn't have a chance to experiment with streaming video or any of the other Apps.

But in the meantime, does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Yes, I do appreciate the flexibility in custom setting each source. That's nice, because Auto Motion plus is a nice feature for some things. As soon as I hook back up my TV (we are installing a custom cabinet for it) I will give your instructions a try. I should have a chance to do that tomorrow night. Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it went! Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

- Collapse -
amazon tv

How do you shut off the auto motion plus when streaming video from amazon. I have a UN55C8000 and for some reason I can't bring up anything that will change the settings during playback.

- Collapse -
auto motion plus settings appear to carry over from other ap

I bought a un46d6000sfxza yesterday and experienced the soap opera effect while watching Netflix.

- Collapse -
auto motion plus settings appear to carry over from other ap

Hi flattman, Thnx a lot man. It worked for me by changing the setting in Vudu. Amazing !!!

- Collapse -
Streaming and Motion Plus - Help!

Hi,

- Collapse -
Streaming and Motion Plus - Help!

wimbledon99 -

- Collapse -
UK Models

Thanks for the reply

- Collapse -
UK Models

wimbledon99 -

- Collapse -
Solution for those outside of the US

As Samsung_Tech pointed out above, you have to disable AMP (Auto Motion Plus) on a per input basis to fix the problem. The issue on some models of the TV is that you cannot access this option from the tools menu, and you cannot access the main video settings menu while running Netflix.

- Collapse -
Hope dashed...............

Thought this was the answer but alas, the 'Tools' button did not work when in the 3D App Cry Cry

- Collapse -
Looks to be sorted.

If you have a new issue, please start a new discussion.

CNET Forums

Forum Info