Storage forum

Question

Can anything go wrong with my hard drive?

by saad_786 / November 19, 2011 9:10 PM PST

Hello,
i have bought a docking station and an internal WD 500 gb hard drive. I dont use the hard drive often. Just used it once to back up everything on my computer and put it away. So am wondering can anything go wrong with the harddrive?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anything go wrong with my hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anything go wrong with my hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not very likely, but not impossible either.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 19, 2011 9:14 PM PST

And
remember, if anything happens to your computer and the original files
get lost, this external disk is the only copy. So we always recommend to
have more than 1 backup.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
I agree with Kees. I too have removable storage that I use
by VAPCMD / November 20, 2011 12:17 AM PST

and put away as a backup but I also have at least one internal drive dedicated to selected data and complete (image) backups of the entire system. And depending on how critical your data is....'remote' or 'offsite' storage might be something to consider as well.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Storage
by Willy / November 20, 2011 5:13 AM PST

Hard drives, of course they can fail. As stated to you, its best to have multiple copies of you critical data, whatever it is. Since, you have a docking station, the ease of using another 2nd HD is a plus. Also, the super critical data that just can't be lost should still be stored on CD/DVD/BD discs. Just treat your backup HDs like eggs and store them in a safe place.

Collapse -
Answer
Simple answer - Yes!
by Zouch / December 2, 2011 9:11 PM PST

Slightly longer answer, yes, hard drives can fail even when sitting on a shelf - case in point, I had one that I had intended to copy to a bigger drive when I got "a round tuit". Well, by the time I did, Sticktion had taken hold (heads stuck to parking zone) and the drive just wouldn't spin up when put back in a machine. Fortunately, I had followed "Rule Number One" and had a couple of additional copies on DVDs. Never ever rely on a single backup copy on whatever medium.

By "Docking Station" I assume you mean the ones you just push a bare hard drive into? Be sure to retain the original packaging the drive came in and pack it away in that packaging, including the anti-static and silica gel bags, when you store it away.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!