TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Can anyone tell me what these HDTV's were called?

by asg1000 / January 21, 2010 8:47 AM PST

I can't remember the manufacturer, but they had a feature i was really interested in call ambient lighting, where, for example, if the tv showed an underwater scene, blue wavy lights would be projected out of the sides of the tv, and red ones for a scene showing fire, etc. i think they *might* have been a Sharp model, but I'm not sure. and if you DO know what they are, could you please tell me if they're available as well?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone tell me what these HDTV's were called?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone tell me what these HDTV's were called?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by bearvp / January 21, 2010 10:39 PM PST

They were made by Philips, but I have not seem anything like them in stores in a while now.

Collapse -
Re: ambilight
by Kees Bakker / January 21, 2010 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Philips
Collapse -
Philips Ambilight series
by minimalist / January 21, 2010 10:54 PM PST

Not sure about their claim that the changing colors reduced eye strain but it has been proven that little bit of light behind your TV can increase the apparent contrast of the set in a totally dark room. There are inexpensive led and fluorescent tubes that you can mount behind your TV to provide this effect (called "bias lighting".)

HD Nation has a good primer on bias lighting in this episode (begins at the 19:18 mark):
Collapse -
Lighting behind TVs
by Dan Filice / January 22, 2010 1:54 AM PST

For years in professional broadcast studios that deal with critical color correction and image detail (Telecine film transfer rooms, digital compositing and visual effects rooms, etc.), the use of lighting behind the monitors has been used. The two important factors are the temperature of the light used and the color/material of the wall behing the monitor. Staring at a monitor in a totally dark room with no ambient light isn't the best. But, most TV viewers aren't concerned about this.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?