Can anyone help no hard disk drives found/unmountable_boot_v

by aznat1970 / June 23, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

Can anyone help no hard disk drives found/unmountable_boot_volume

I have a hp pavilion dv1000 thats belongs to a family member
the computer one day wouldent start for him all that would
come up was unmountable_boot_volume "technical info: stop:0x000000ed
(0x82d8b508,0xc0000185,0x00000000,0x000000000)", He tried installing
xp thinking that was the problem but when you run the disk it loads the files
then it comes up with no hard disk drives found, so he thought the hard disk was
bad he bought a new one we installed it and the same thing would come up. If we
try to just start the computer it says unmountable_boot_volume if we try to run the
xp pro cd it says no hard disks found after reading a little on the net i took it apart
and removed the rtc battery to try to reset the bios on it no luck same thing.
Now i have ran the hard disk test in bios and it comes back ok on both tests.
Can anyone help thanks in advance.
The system is
hp pavilion dv1000 windows xp
INTEL T2300 processor 1660 Mhz
1 GB of RAM video memory up to 128 mb
phoenix bios verison f.11
Old hard drive 60 GB SATA
New hard drive 320 GB SATA
Sorry i cant give more info i can only get into the bios screen.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone help no hard disk drives found/unmountable_boot_v
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone help no hard disk drives found/unmountable_boot_v
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2009 6:24 AM PDT

XP only had support for drives up to 127GB. You also have the SATA drive so this is a toxic combo. You'll need to go back to the 60GB drive and remember how to install XP there.

Besides that XP issue/limitation you must immediately apply SP1 or later or you run in this issue on some machines -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315403

Bob

Collapse -
The limitation is on the boot drive and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2009 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I see why.

After you install SP1 that limit is lifted. But there are too many gotchas with those CDs that have just XP on them. I've learned to ask for the XP SP2 CD when I see SATA.
Bob

Collapse -
XP and hard drives
by Overington / June 23, 2009 8:10 AM PDT

I have a 250 Gb SATA drive on my XP machine and it sees the whole drive. I don't know what XP's limitation is for the size of the hard drive. My 250 Gb drive is not my boot drive. It's been a while since I loaded it, but I remember there was a "trick" to it. I think it did have something to do with the service pack. You also have to make sure that Large Block Address (LBA) is on. Once you can see the drive , even if you can't format the whole drive, and get to the point where you can install the SP you can resize the drive and see the whole thing with something like Partition Magic. I believe that was how I did it, but that was a while ago. Havn't done it since.

Collapse -
UPDATE
by aznat1970 / June 24, 2009 4:11 AM PDT

Thanks to all for the info late last night i got the recovery console
to work on the old hard drive and finally got the computer to work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?