Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Can anyone help me with this?

by syverex / March 11, 2008 10:11 PM PDT

i have a few songs that i very much want to learn how to play them using electric guitar and piano like my chemical romance song and some of the carpenters songs,
so can the garageband'08 on my mac make the tracks spilt up and make solo instrument tracks so that i can listen to them n play it?
or is there any software i need to download(preferably not bought)?

Thanks

Macbook(black) late'07
2.2GHZ
intel core 2 duo
160 HDD
1GB RAM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone help me with this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone help me with this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a question for
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 11:32 PM PDT

BeatleMegafan.

I'm thinking that it would be a pretty neat trick to split the tracks from a combined source. Left and right channels would be easy.

I'll pass and hope the serious Garageband users read the post

P

Collapse -
waht are you talking about??
by syverex / March 11, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

Are you at the wrong post?

Collapse -
GarageBand
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 12:59 AM PDT

what are you talking about?

I believe your question was "so can the garageband'08 on my mac make the tracks spilt up and make solo instrument tracks so that i can listen to them n play it?"

I merely stated that taking an already combined set of tracks and splitting them out to their instrument originals, would be a neat trick.

BeatleMegaFan is a Garageband user who frequently posts to this forum. Hence the first statement.

That's what I'm talking about!

P

Collapse -
ohhhhh..
by syverex / March 12, 2008 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: GarageBand

got it ...thanks

Collapse -
Well I'm here to answer the question
by tleMega / March 13, 2008 7:25 AM PDT
Wink All right, like you said, changing left and right channel settings is easy, as each track has its own dial for that. I too agree that creating multiple tracks from one file would be a great feature.

However, by the looks of it, you can't do so. You can import any unprotected audio file from iTunes into Garageband, but they're just regular Mp3 or Mp4 files, so there's not any data that could be used within them to generate these tracks. You could do the reverse by recording a song with multiple tracks, exporting it out in the Mp3 format, and import it back in as a song, but once you've done that, you can't break it down back to those tracks...

To the original poster:

If you're looking for a guitar portion of a song, some bands release acoustic versions and whatnot. Tabs are all over the place, but many tend to be inaccurate. And then there's always YouTube.

I'm sure that Apple could introduce a feature that allows you to combine a set of tracks into one track, and then break them down again, within a single GB window, but I do not believe that exists in the current form of GB. Again, songs probably do not contain information for Garageband tracks, and unless Apple decides to throw that into purchased music, GB won't be able to do this. But that would prompt Apple to allow purchased music to be imported into GB, which they removed in the new version. So I guess the answer to your question is no. Would be nice if we could use GarageBand to do this. I bet if you could import songs with the feature to split it into separate instruments, you could assign them manually to each track, but that would be very time consuming to get it all sorted out. Interesting you point you raise though.

-BMF
Collapse -
that was my understanding too,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 8:57 AM PDT

I remember playing for hours with a two track tape machine, creating one track, adding the second, mixing the two to one, adding another, mixing, adding, mixing and adding until you have 6 or 8 tracks laid down on the tape.

At that point it would have been impossible to separate the tracks out again.

My Stepson now does this digitally but keeps the original, all separate tracks, in case they need to remaster it.

Thanks for the info, what kept you? Happy

P

Collapse -
A lot of things
by tleMega / March 13, 2008 9:30 AM PDT

Between having the RROD on my second Xbox 360 (which I had for only 2 weeks!), working on my WiFi network, and a bunch of other stuff, it's hard to get to everything ;-). According to my ISP, my modem isn't very good with wireless devices (it's four years old, or older, but I find that hard to believe) and so they are shipping a replacement and are bumping up the connection speed. That should take care of the slow download speeds I've been getting.
I did customize some external device icons and some folder images. Looks nicer. Couldn't find one for my WD backup but it's no matter. I've got to admit, Apple's developers did a great job with Leopard's looks. Grin Had plenty to deal with I suppose.

-BMF

Collapse -
(NT) ?????
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: A lot of things
Collapse -
You said "what kept you"
by tleMega / March 13, 2008 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: ?????

and I answered :D. Lost you there for a second huh? Wink Anyway...
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the issue of Beatles + iTunes. That's been popping up all over the web lately. That, and and the 3G iPhone. Those need to be at the top of Apple's priority list, though I'd rather not see The Beatles on iTunes. Makes their songs like everyone else's songs. But, it'll happen eventually. I would like to see a Yellow Submarine iPod. You know, the great thing about Apple is they always keep you entertained with all of the "rumors" and "leaks".

-BMF

Collapse -
you can't split out tracks on anything
by PFreak / March 17, 2008 2:42 AM PDT

I'm a commercial producer so I work with split tracks for TV/radio mixes. Even the $100,000 high end equipment can't split out tracks from a mixed piece. I wish it could, creation of splits cost $500 and if I forget them or lose them I'm screwed. Think of it as baking cookies. You have all the ingredients but once mixed and cooked there is no way for you to extract only the milk or flour from them.

Collapse -
That's because
by tleMega / March 17, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

once it's all intertwined, there is not a way for a program to decipher which sounds belong to which instrument, so long as the song file does not contain any specific data for this purpose. It would be nice indeed, but software hasn't gotten to that point yet.

-BMF

Collapse -
(NT) I refer you all to the second answer in this thread. :-)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 17, 2008 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: That's because
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?