TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Can anyone help me decide whih TV to get, down to 4 choices

Ok I'm looking for an HDTV for my bedroom with max size being 42". My room is 9' by 12' and I will be sitting in the 9 foot range so my viewing distacne will be around 6-7 ft. I'm mainly going to use this TV for my ps3 either playing games or watching blu-ray movies, and also will watch high-def sports like NFL sunday ticket coming up with the HD package. So I don't care how the TV performs with regular stations, I don't care the off angle ability because I will always be directly on, I don't care about how good of sound because I have a home stereo system I'm going to hook up.
I've cut my choices down to the following TVs:
Toshiba HL167
Sharp LC-42D62U
Samsung HPT 4254 or 64
Panasonic 42PX75U or 77U
Also haven't competly ruled out the Samsung LNT 4042H & 4053H
My max budget is $1300
So pleases I would like suggestions based on my situation.
The one thing is that all of these TVs have problems, the tosh has green hue, the sharp has banding, the 4254 has "judder" and the pan had a less than stellar image next to the sam.
I've been looking for about a month went to all the review sites and looked in many stores and to me it seems that the differences in images are minute, but then how do I decide?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone help me decide whih TV to get, down to 4 choices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone help me decide whih TV to get, down to 4 choices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
here tis...

In reply to: Can anyone help me decide whih TV to get, down to 4 choices

Collapse -
PANASONIC TH-42PX77U .........

BUT CHECK OUT SAM'S CLUB AND COSTCO'S PANASONIC TH-42PC77U's, same HDTV with special model numbers. The 42PX is the same as the 42PC77U.

Best wishes,
Riverledge.

Collapse -
Check out Sears

really - they have the 42PX77U for $1199. I ordered mine less than 30 days ago for 1299 so I can still get the difference back. Anyway, I am very happy with my purchase. Save shipping charges by picking up at my local store. OTA HD is amazing, especially @ 1080 on CBS, PBS etc. even w/ indoor ant. Online price and you can pick-up / return (30 days) to aviod shipping charges. I can't understand why cnet doesn't show Sears' pricing.

Collapse -
think about the sharp

Sharp still has banding(i beleive more in larger sets), if you find a good one you ok. and since the 62u line is being phased out you might get a good deal. but just know you may have an issue (Get a service plan), Plus the specs on the 42" sharp arn't the same as the 46" and the 52". but with all that said if theirs no banding, for the price and 1080p this set may fit your needs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.