TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Can anyone comment on the Toshiba 42HP95??

by johnhunter44 / February 1, 2006 8:11 PM PST

I see this listed online at Costco for 2399 and am considering it. Any comments? How does this one compair to a comparable panasonic?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can anyone comment on the Toshiba 42HP95??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can anyone comment on the Toshiba 42HP95??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i"am going to buy a toshiba tomorrow
by stewart norrie / February 2, 2006 5:12 AM PST

Just saw the 72HM195 last week and was blown away who cares about being huge I sat 4 ft from the screen and felt I was in a I-MAX theater + these new toshiba are 1920X1080 and will be awsome with the new Blue ray d.v.d. hi-def players. Its going to be soo cool to be able to sit up close and get that real movie theater experience good luck and dont forget the snack bar stewart

Collapse -
Might Be Rebadged Panasonic
by RoadRunner6 / February 2, 2006 3:17 PM PST

John, Until at least a year or so ago (not absolutely sure there hasn't been a change), Toshiba's were basically rebadged Panasonic's.

If that is still the case then this might be the Panasonic TH-42PX50U or TH-42PX500U. I only had a minute to look at the specs. The cable card might mean it is the 500U. Check out the specs carefully and you might be able to tell. This is a regular Toshiba and not a special model number for Costco. Do a Google search for reviews on it.

If any of this is true, might be a good buy and an excellent unit.

RR6

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, I am really looking hard at Costco on this model...
by johnhunter44 / February 2, 2006 7:35 PM PST
Collapse -
Follow Up On The Toshiba, Good News
by RoadRunner6 / February 2, 2006 10:13 PM PST

John,

When I was surfing the Internet for some HT info I spotted about 5 consumer reviews on the 42HP95 (no pro reviews). They were all 5 stars. One guy said that he had narrowed it down to the Toshiba and the Panasonic TH-42PX500U. He had studied the specs closely and concluded it was the same TV (just what I suspected...but I didn't confirm this myself). He looked at the Toshiba and the Panny TH-42PX50U side by side at a dealer and they both had the same excellent picture quality. He couldn't find the 500U in stock so he got the Toshiba and is very pleased with it.

I check prices online and see that the Toshiba runs about $2150-$2800 from 4 and 5 star dealers. The Panny 500U about $3100+ and the 50U about $2700 and up.

Sounds like a Panny clone and a great buy to me. Plus it is at Costco. Pull the trigger John!

RR6 (Chuck)

Collapse -
Thanks man, that really helps. Are you familiar with...
by johnhunter44 / February 2, 2006 11:21 PM PST

...the Toshiba 52HMX95? This is supposed to be their DLP model and am looking at this one too. What do you think? Reliability is very important to me

Collapse -
Toshiba DLP
by RoadRunner6 / February 3, 2006 7:20 AM PST

I really can't comment on the reliability of the DLP's. I do think that the Toshiba (Panasonic) is probably one of the most reliable of the plasmas as well as the DLP's. I think the reliability of the plasmas in general has gotten a bad rap mainly due to problems with the cheapo brands like Gateway, Proview, Sampo, etc. I have had no problems with either of my plasmas so far. I am very careful in the break-in period to keep the brightness down, etc. and no 4x3 aspect ratios. I just pulled the trigger and didn't look back. I haven't regretted it one bit although I am thining seriously of selling the 37" in the bedroom, moving the 42" from the living room into the bedroom and buying a new 50" plamsa for the living room. I would not consider anything but a plasma. We are extremely happy with both sets.

Your choice here is a hard one. That Toshiba is big, very big compared to the 42" plasma. However, there is no doubt in my former military mind that the plasmas are far superior in picture quality. The several directions we watch our plasma from makes anything other than plasma a bad choice because of the excellent off angle viewing on the plasmas.

The only reason I could imagine choosing the DLP is strictly because of the size and some people like that dark projected look that reminds them of the screen in a movie theater. On the other hand, the picture qulity on the plasma is so good, color saturation and accuracy and great viewing at any angle that it is my choice.

Have you considered trying to strech the budget for a 50" plasma like the Panasonic or waiting for their new 60U and 600U?

Whatever you choose, good luck. I sense that maybe you are agonizing over this decision. Just pull the trigger based on brand quality and reliabilty (Toshiba is great for both plasma and DLP) and choose based on what aspects of the picture quality (size or color accuracy, etc. you think is most important to you).

RR6 (Chuck)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for your help, it really is a tough decision
by johnhunter44 / February 3, 2006 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: Toshiba DLP
Collapse -
I have the 42hp95
by egaff / February 19, 2006 2:00 AM PST

I'm by no means an expert but I have had this model for nearly 2 months and love it! I picked it up on New Year's Eve at Nebraska Furniture Mart for, hold your breath, $1,699, $1,827 after taxes! Even the sales guy at the store was shocked that it was for the 42HP95. The pick up line was literally nothing but these flying out of the place. This was not an open box, it was brand new. It felt like it was a steal. I was prepared to pay the $2500 - $3,000.

Watching HD is incredible. Even regular channels look fine. We find that we only end up watching the limited HD (20 channels or so on Time Warner Cable). Discovery HD and PBS HD are great.

My only regret was getting only one. I've kept my eyes open for the same ad but they only put the EDTV version on sale.

Collapse -
42HPX95 - great connectivity, but I am not yet able to THINC
by tuliptown / March 6, 2006 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: I have the 42hp95

I enjoy the cinema series toshiba as an HDTV and got a good price (2499 before tax) but I am not able to use the built in THINC to network via cross over cable to my laptop with Win XP home + serv pack #2.

Per the manual, it should automatically hook up. Anyone had any success? What configuration of the network card on my laptop is required?

any help is appreciated!

Collapse -
Toshiba
by timetogolf / February 19, 2006 9:16 AM PST

To me it appears that the HP is the Panasonic 50U model and the HPX is the 500U model. Anyone agree? Can't wait till the 06 models arrive. Have to wait for the 600U since they eliminated the cable card slot in the 60U.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.