Resolved Question

Can an iPhone b used for net use only - no phone service?

I own an iPad3 and w/all the iphones that will tossed any day now, can I buy one to link with my ipad3 and only use web/mail? Iphone service is too expensive for as little calls I make.

Discussion is locked
tuckerlem has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Can an iPhone b used for net use only - no phone service?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can an iPhone b used for net use only - no phone service?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
This question sounds confused.

Let's say I give you an iPhone. Just virtually.

OK, now where is this internet access coming from?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Iphone for net only - i have this question too

can i use my smart phone with wifi and skip the phone plan.

- Collapse -
Yes.
- Collapse -
duckduckgo site answered my question - thank you

duckduckgo.com gave me the answer - yes just a little tricky.

- Collapse -
I think you want.....

.....an iPod and not an iPhone. An iPod is cheaper.

- Collapse -
Answer
Yess

I assume you mean getting a used iPhone and putting on a voice plan without data. You could do that, and just get a voice plan with a micro SIM card (assuming you'd get an iPhone 4 or 4S). You would have to make sure that the phone is not locked to another carrier, or else you would have to find a way to unlock it and use it with your carrier. But it can be done for sure.

- Collapse -
The only way.....

you will be able to activate an iPhone with just a data plan is if you provide proof from a doctor that you are deaf. Otherwise, data and voice are required with all major US cellular carriers, especially with an iPhone on an active phone #..

CNET Forums