General discussion

Can an external USB drive be connected to a router port?

Sep 8, 2009 7:20AM PDT

Many times I come across people that would like to add networked backup to their home network but don't want to buy a new router with a USB port. If there are no desktop computers in the home, they won't want to tether a drive to one laptop only for the drive to not be available to others should that laptop be moved. Is there an adapter that will allow an external USB hard drive to connect to an ethernet port on a router that can then be shared?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can an external USB drive be connected to a router port?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can an external USB drive be connected to a router port?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I used this however.
Sep 8, 2009 7:37AM PDT

Google up the GMFPSU22W6 which I picked up two of for under 25 each.

Ok, now I have USB drives on my Ethernet and network. But the speed over wifi is abysmal and barely tolerable wired. Here's partly why ->USB 2.0 sprints (?) along at 480 million bits per second and your common Ethernet is 100 million bits per second (Mbps). Ethernet is FULL DUPLEX and when we move to WIFI that's shared bandwidth at 54 Mbps on a good day.

My GMFPSU22W6's do fine as print servers but the USB drives are now back on the machines via USB when I need them.
Bob

- Collapse -
Would it be an issue for overnight backups?
Sep 8, 2009 7:46AM PDT

If the drive was used for backups to be run during the night it might not be a problem. I would only recommend a wired connection of course. I'm trying to find a low-cost network backup solution for residential folks. It seems that if we try to depend on a drive attached to a system and shared, the connection is not always reliable especially in a mixed Windows environment. Thoughts?

- Collapse -
Is 25 bucks low cost?
Sep 8, 2009 7:53AM PDT

I leave it to you to determine that. Wifi is not reliable enough for hours of backup. Yes you can fine SYNCBACK to beef it up but you do the math.

Let's say you have 40GB to backup. Let's give you 10 megabits per second due to all that file server overhead.

How long?
Bob

- Collapse -
It's not the 25 bucks, but the time.
Sep 8, 2009 8:21AM PDT

A solution for $25 would be great but with your scenario of 40GB at 10MB/second, you would never be able to do it in one night. So it looks like if I want to have a relatively low-cost solution with reasonable speed, it would require an NAS.

- Collapse -
NAS has the same issue.
Sep 8, 2009 11:22AM PDT

Sorry for the typo. I meant find not fine.

That device turns your common USB drive into a NAS. Just thought I'd warn you about network copy speeds. At least someone told you.
Bob

- Collapse -
Problem Solved!!
Feb 24, 2012 12:47AM PST

All you guys need is a NAS Adapter ( Network Attached Storage) it has a one end USB port and the other a LAN out put

It's compatible with almost any generic external USB storage devices from Flash sticks to Storage Towers!!

regarding the Update in WIFI, you can back up the computers initially LAN connected. and then keep the update going real-time without concerning yourself with bandwidth over load.. this can easily be done with Genie Professional TimeLine.. I bought this program and it never let me down Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info