Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can a regular switch do this???

by globalsk8 / October 17, 2007 10:53 PM PDT

Hello,

We have a internal network with 4 pc's connected to our university network. We are going to do a lot of video and we need a lot of bandwith, we want to make our 4 pc network use 1Gig ethernet to share video files faster but want to avoid having to go outside our network and use the university resources.

Can regular switches recognise the 4 pc network and avoid going outside and send it straight between those pc and only going outside to surf the internet or whatever???

These must be done usually with a programmable switch but someone told me nowdays regular switches are able to do this.

Is it true? How can it be done?

If it is, but basic models could I get?

If not what programmable switch which is cheap could I get?

By the way we'll be using (an can only use) windows XP, no Linux...;-(

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can a regular switch do this???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can a regular switch do this???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing how to hook it up to get that done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

internet -> wifi router -> 1GB switched hub -> PCs.

Done.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just sharing how to hook it up to get that done.
by globalsk8 / October 17, 2007 11:50 PM PDT

So a regular (not programmable, then much cheaper) 1G switch will not send the files outside our local network through the university resources? It would take care of it internally???

By the way we wont be using wireless, all cable.

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) That's what a switched hub does!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 12:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why would you need a switch?
by Coryphaeus / October 18, 2007 9:29 AM PDT

A Gigabit router would do what you want.

But let me share something about Gigabit LANs. You will NOT get Gigabit speed. No hard drive made will read/write at that speed. My Gigabit network running two IBM ThinkCenter 3 GHz processors with Gigabit and my home built 2 GHz processor with Gigabit runs on average 250-350 Mb/s speed. Faster than my old 10/100 LAN, but nowhere near 1000 Mb/s speed. If the above speed meets your needs then just get a Gigabit router.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Loud pipes, Longknecks, Loose women - Texas

Collapse -
What brands models?
by globalsk8 / October 18, 2007 6:57 PM PDT

Can anybody specify brands and models?

So is clear that I dont need a programmable switch, a regular giga switch will do it, right?

Why not a giga switch (seems cheaper) thatn a Giga router? What benefits do I get getting a Giga router, I just want to be able to send big video files across the small pc network, is it worth it?

Thanks.

Collapse -
3COM SWITCH OFFICE CONNECT
by globalsk8 / October 18, 2007 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: What brands models?

Hello, I going to buy a 3COM SWITCH OFFICE CONNECT 8XRJ45 10/100/1000 GIGABIT,AUTOSENSING, AUTO MDI/MDIX. Will this do wha I want?

Collapse -
I have this one. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 18, 2007 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: What brands models?
Collapse -
what about the cheap alternative
by globalsk8 / October 18, 2007 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: I have this one. . .

It looks impressive and expensive...anyhow does anyone know if the one I'm willing to buy will do what I'm asking...I dont have option to buy what your recomend, since I have to buy it for the university dealer and thats the option they have give me.

Thanks?

Collapse -
Per my hookup...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2007 12:17 AM PDT

All I did was add the switched hub at the end... I didn't answer directly what a switched hub is since that would duplicate fine content at Wikipedia or what you can find at google.com but it is the answer.

I prefer the switched hub outside the router since I've found some switches in routers to be poor performers. You want cheap? Try http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CGS-800E-DT&cat=NET and the other Netgear, Dlink, Linksys equivilents.

Bob

Collapse -
Getting the 3Com
by globalsk8 / October 21, 2007 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Per my hookup...

I'll be getting the 3COM SWITCH OFFICE CONNECT because is what the store has, cant buy from the internet because university rules. So I hope it works...I was on a tight deadline so I had to get something real quick the thing is at the store the could not answer my question? That's why I tried here, so lets see what happens.

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.