Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can a 802.11 Router be used as an adaptor into a modem?

by spacegeek / January 7, 2010 1:02 AM PST

Greetings all,

I am trying to setup a new Windows 7 computer to link into an existing 802.11 network that is used by other computers. Are there any 802.11 routers that can operate as an expensive adaptor? This is preferred as the routers seem to have much heftier RF sections.

Routers with repeater operation seem to require that the NAT features of the modem be defeated, which is no good for the other computers.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can a 802.11 Router be used as an adaptor into a modem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can a 802.11 Router be used as an adaptor into a modem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes is the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 1:09 AM PST

But given no model of what you have, I think a game bridge would be a more effective solution.

Also post 18 or so in the forum sticky shows how I use a spare router to get better coverage for cheap.

Collapse -
Thanks... more info
by spacegeek / January 7, 2010 1:37 AM PST

The initial issue was that Best Buy sold us a Netgear WG311 v3 PCI adaptor with a new Windows 7 computer. Unfortunately, that adaptor is incompatible with Windows 7. We have an older Linksys router that would be great if software is available (probably not) as we do want the 4 port switch.

So, in investigating other options, I was looking at the Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with the 4 port switch & USB port. It is that router that spawned the question as Microsoft does say that it is Windows 7 compliant.

So, more specifically, can the Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router be operated as an 802.11 adaptor under Windows 7 as opposed to the wireless repeater operation?

Thanks for the help...

Collapse -
Can't answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks... more info

There are some handful of models that are called by "NetgNetgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit" so to answer I would have to research all of them, all versions and I hope you understand that since this is all volunteer I'll have to not volunteer to do all that work.

Help others help you. Supply the details when you can.

BUT LET ME COMMENT ABOUT ROUTERS AND LISTING WINDOWS 7 compatibility. I hope this NEVER happens. It would send the wrong signal to consumers that there are routers incompatible with this or that OS. This is not an OS issue.

Collapse -
Thanks... the router part number is WNR3500L
by spacegeek / January 7, 2010 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Can't answer.

I do appreciate the help. More specifically, the Windows 7 OS issue is with the adaptors particularly of the PCI variety. Microsoft does address those in their Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

The part number of the Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with USB is WNR3500L.

It might be more prudent to rephrase the question: Do you know of ANY 802.11 device that would have the following:

1. Has A very good to outstanding RF section in terms of distance of coverage
2. 4 port switch
3. USB port
4. Operates as an 802.11 adaptor
5. Compatible with Windows 7

Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 2:51 AM PST

The standards mean that outside of the bad stuff any adapter is pretty much like the others. The FCC standards mean that there are limits to radiated power in any one direction so while we all know of the Wave Surfer trick that is not going to pass FCC tests and won't be in a product or wifi adapter. Video at

Comments inline.
1. Has A very good to outstanding RF section in terms of distance of coverage
Given how the standards work, unless we add a wave surfer, one is much like the next.

2. 4 port switch
Woah! Are we talking about a router or a client device? I know you are trying to do something but I can't tell what. You were asking how to convert a router to a client device but now I see this and some USB port which would be odd to questionable for a client device. HOWEVER I do own a WPGS606 which has 4 ports and USB for what it does. (yes I own 2 WPGS606s)

3. USB port
That does what?

4. Operates as an 802.11 adaptor
See the WPGS606 and similar devices.

5. Compatible with Windows 7
My WPGS606 and wifi bridges DO NOT HAVE ANY OS requirements. Let's hope that consumers never get a clear answer on this one. It is not an OS dependent device.

Sorry for the replies but I get lost when given incomplete (no, you may not know it was incomplete) questions.

OK, the WNR3500L does MANY TRICKS. MORE THAN I CAN TYPE HERE. Get to the right forum to ask about that. Start at

Sorry but you appear to be all over the map and all this could be cured once you get some Windows 7 network adapter.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?