Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Campus WiFi

In the fall I will be living on campus which offers 100% WiFi coverage. I have Norton 360 installed on my pc but am really oblivious to the situation Ill be in. I use internet banking and want to be sure my information and computer is safe from hackers. Any tips on preventing any problems I may have?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Campus WiFi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Campus WiFi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just Suggestions...

In reply to: Campus WiFi

First, you didn't tell us whether you have a Wifi enabled computer or not.. If you have a laptop, then it probably has that option available.. If you have a desktop, since most do not have a Wifi adapter preinstalled, then you may need to install one.

Second, which operating system are you using as some security items are different depending on the OS version.

1. If you'r using Windows and you don't need to share files with other members of your dorm, disable/turn off "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"..

How To Stop Sharing Files With The World

2. Enable the firewall.. You can use the one provided by Norton or simply use the Windows firewall which is included with XP or Vista.

3. Be careful as to which network you connect to.. Be sure you know the exact name/password of the campus network and be sure to identify that specific network when you first connect.. After the first connection, your computer should hook-up automatically but if you connect to a bad clone version of the network, it's possible for nefarious individuals to steal your personal information.

4. Use a good antivirus and antispyware program. I'll let you determine whether Norton 360 is such a program.

5. Use a complex password as your computer log on.. At a university, you want to be sure that you, and only you, can log into your computer.. If you haven't already, be sure to place a password on the default "admiistrator" login which can be viewed from Safe Mode.. It's one of those backdoors into an administrative account on Windows XP that many folks aren't familar with..

6. Last, but not least, surf safe.. The last thing you want to do is spend more money having a computer repair tech fix your computer because it's been taken over with spyware, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Reply to grif

In reply to: Just Suggestions...

I have a laptop and yes it is WiFi enabled. I run on Windows Vista and have a firewall up and printer sharing off. I feel confident in Norton 360 I guess I can only hope it will continue to keep my confidence. I do need to set up a user account because I am currently working on the Admin. Thanks for the tips!

Collapse -
Norton 360 has Security Map feature

In reply to: Reply to grif

It will allow you to view the security status of your network connection so while you are in the campus using wifi, you can use the Network Security Map in your Norton 360 if your connection is 'at risk' or not.

I hope you'll be connected in WPA or WPA2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

Collapse -
don't forget to turn off;

In reply to: Just Suggestions...

REMOTE CONTROLL- I left that on after a software service and sat stunned for a second to see my curser running amok thru my files. First repair was to switch off the wi-fi antenna. But it took a week to weed out the damage.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.