Cameras forum

General discussion

Camera suggestions

by mnajee / September 4, 2008 10:11 AM PDT

Hi Everybody,

I need help picking out a new digital camera for myself. I'm no expert, but I'm not a novice either. I want something 10MP or higher. Great photo quality and speedy shot to shot time. Either compact or ultracompact, something that shoots great photos indoors and outdoors. I mainly intend to use this for family pics and for vacation pics. I hope to get lots of suggestions thanks to all in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camera suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camera suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lots to choose from depending on desires
by JayMonster / September 5, 2008 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Camera suggestions

There are plenty of camera that are "good" and of course since you are not a novice you know that Megapixel count is not a good basis for a decision, correct?

What about Zoom? Or do you want to be able to shoot RAW?

My knee jerk reaction for a good compact is the Canon G9. It can mount an external flash, can capture in RAW, has 12 MP of resolution and has good picture.

However it only has a 6x zoom so if you want to zoom in on your subject, it may not be the best choice. Then you start looking at cameras like the Olympus SP570 UZ. It "only" has 10MP of resolution, but has a 20X zoom lens so you can capture your subject further away without the need to crop the picture. It also shoots RAW (if desired) and can mount an external flash if desired. However due mostly to the large zoom, the Olympus is closer to the size of a dSLR and is definitely not something you are going to throw in your pocket.

The Panasonic DMC TZ5 is a 9.1 megapixel camera (just slightly short of your 10 MP requirement) that has a mid range (10x) zoom, but is compact in size so you can fit it in your pocket. You lose however the ability to shoot RAW and you are stuck with the cheap on board flash. It is also particularly noisy at higher ISO settings (really just about anything over 400 ISO).

This is just a sample of some of the ones available, but really you can't get exactly what you want until you know what it is that you are looking for.

Collapse -
not a novice, but

megapixels are the worst reason to buy a camera. You should know that higher megapixels usually introduce more noise in the photo, and unless you're printing above 11x14 then you won't need more than 7MP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.