Cameras forum

General discussion

Camera recommendations - confused by all the reviews

by barletdp / October 15, 2007 11:29 PM PDT

My 17 year old is asking for a new digital camera. She has an old Kodak EasyShare 5megapixel with 3x zoom. She would like a higher resolution (8mp) and a more power full zoom (5x), plus a 2.5+ view screen. I'm confused by all the reviews on cnet. Just when I think I found the one, I'm discouraged by the cons. When I decide to "bite the bullet" for a more expensive model, again, I'm discouraged by the "cons" in the reviews. Any help deciding a reliable camera model, that won't be obsolete in a year, that meets my requirements? I don't want a camera that takes a long time to get ready for the next shot. Looking to spend under $350-ish. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camera recommendations - confused by all the reviews
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camera recommendations - confused by all the reviews
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If...
by Papa Echo / October 16, 2007 12:53 AM PDT

... you cannot take the cons, no one is likely to help, because no camera is perfect. Even the big-name manufacturers make different cameras with a hugh mix (permutations) of different features. Not all the features you want are ever found on a sigle camera. Take some, forfeit the others. Some solve this problem by having two or more cameras ! As for cameras being outdated in one or two years, the lower cost ones will be outdated as improvements are made and new technologies are introduced. Camera types may also go out of vogue. So, choose a camera, feel it at the shop, bite the bullet and enjoy using it.

Collapse -
Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

Here is the press release for the Canon A720IS:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082001canona650720.asp

It has all the bells and whistles you could want.

There are no reviews yet, but it is an update to the popular Canon A710IS, which takes excellent photos.

8 megapixels and 6X optical zoom.

Collapse -
Simple Rules i follow with cameras
by Jason_Winter / October 16, 2007 4:04 PM PDT

1. Canons Compacts are usually a good choice (im talking the IXUS ranges) OR Olympus range of MJU's
2. Nikon SLRs
3. If you want another brand make sure the lens is a good brand, and don't be fooled by cameras with high megapixels it won't improve the quality of your photos in most cases! 8 Mega pixels is only really needed when you want to enlarge photos, which you probably want but you also what quality enlargements where the lens comes into play... A good indicator is the feel of a camera. Cheap ones will feel cheap. So i would recommend visiting you local camera store. Reviews are handy in narrowing the possible choices and are a good indicator..

I hope that helps in your camera search!!!!
All the Best

Expressphoto Australia
http://www.expressphoto.com.au

Collapse -
you choose
by watto star / October 16, 2007 4:33 PM PDT

Each camera is different, and each camera is unique. Dont u dare be put off by the cnet cons because every camera will have them. When buying a camera you have to find what suits you best and if its good for what you want it for. Before you buy a camera mabe its best to have a look at it and mabe even use it for a bit because you just never know.

Anyway all the best and good luck

>cheers<

Collapse -
camera recommendations
by AndyfromVA / October 16, 2007 10:11 PM PDT

Your daughter should decide what type of camera she wants. There are lots of good cameras in your price range. They are mainly in three categories, ultra compact, compact and SLR-like. Canon, Panasonic and Fuji make well-regarded cameras in each category. Kodak makes a good SLR-like camera, the z712IS (a new version, the z812IS has recently come out).

Collapse -
=o
by jnthnp / October 17, 2007 1:39 PM PDT

Personally, it doesn't really matter if there's a better one out there. As long as the camera you have is fine, then you oughtn't worry about it.
If the con ever talks about image quality issues, it'd probably be a good idea to ignore it. Frankly, if you have to ask the question what camera to buy, it is highly unlikely you'll have to worry about image quality. And that's because all cameras on the market today have sufficient image quality.
And it seems like you're into the whole pixel counting thing which I particularly hate. It's unlikely that you'll notice the difference between a 5 and 8 megapixel photo. Frankly, in the compact camera market, I'd go for the camera with lower-megapixel ratings since a cramped sensor means bad light sensitivity and bad noise performance.
As aforementioned the A720 IS might be a good idea. But by my guess, it's unlikely that a teen would want to be caught using one of those.
The Sony T100 is on sale right now, and I think it does match your needs. The reason why it's on sale is because it's been replaced by the Sony T200 which has a 3.5" touch screen (or something of similar size). Or unless you need touchscreen, you can go for the T200. It has 5X zoom, a large screen 2.5" or 3" I believe.
The more recent Canons and Sony cameras VERY GENERALLY have pretty good performance, with the exception of the T200.
Those are the only two cameras that come to my mind. Nikon does have a 5X zoom camera, but it has horrible performance (L5, I believe).

Collapse -
perfect camera
by sfyalek / October 18, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

Unfortunately, there is no perfect camera for everyone. If your daughter just wants a compact camera with a long optical zoom and she does not care about the noise issue and she does not mind to use the LCD panel instead of view finder, Panasonic Lumix and Canon give a few good choices.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 has 10x optical zoom and DMC-LZ7K has 6x optical zoom. Both models are very compact and cost less than US$300. It is not a camera for myself because they do not have view finder. This is why there is no perfect camera.

Collapse -
confused by all the reviews
by jmbrownscc / October 22, 2007 6:40 PM PDT

Reviews are helpful in pointing you to cameras that fit your requirements. You talked about camera specifications but didn't mention your photography goals or what kind of pictures you will be taking. After listing your photography goals and kind of pictures you will take, look for 3 to 5 cameras that meet your requirements. Visit some camera stores and actually handle the cameras to see which one you like best physically and for the photography you will do. I have 2 Nikon point & shoot (5 mega pixel & 8 mega pixel) and a Nikon D200 DSLR (10.2 mega pixels and lots and lots of bells and whistles. All 3 take excellent pictures and for the most part you can't tell which camera took what picture until you start enlarging them. The bells and whistles on the DSLR make the camera more versatile and let you do some of the advanced/professional type photography. But you pay for that versatility. The Canon A720 IS looks to be all the camera you would use. Go the the link that was given and read all the specs. If you know and understand what they are, then you should have no trouble deciding what camera you want. If you don't really understand all the specs, then you have some reading and experimenting to do to fully use the camera or any similar camera and you will have a great deal of room to grow with that camera. (I know as I am doing just that with my DSLR!). Don't forget to look at the other cameras that were mentioned, as one of them may end up your personal preference and/or fit exactly into your photography requirements. Good luck and happy shooting!

Collapse -
Camera recommendations - confused by all the reviews
by morayford / October 22, 2007 10:04 PM PDT

You need to decide what is really important and what is not. For me I wanted to pay around $300.OO. My priorities were a mega zoom and good pictures. I didn't really care about stereo sound, how fast it is, problems with video, or small problems with ease of use. I also wanted a camera that had lots of manual controls so I bought the new Canon 100SX, which was on sale at circuit city. While I have only had it a couple of weeks, I couldn't be happier. My experience reflects the CNET Review. I can't get over how well the focus is or how sharp a radically cropped picture looks when taken on the highest resolution.

Collapse -
Canon SX100IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

I was trying to find out where this new camera fit into the other lines of Canon cameras.

It appears to be quite similar to the A650IS except the SX100IS has the 10X optical zoom as compared to the 6X zoom on the A650IS.

The A650IS has 12 megapixels as opposed to the 8 meg in the SX100IS

Other than that, they seem quite similar except for the optical viewfinder on the A650IS

The A650IS sells for about $100 more.

The SX100IS does not have a viewfinder.
Do you find that to be a problem on your camera?
Any problems seeing the LCD screen in bright sunlight?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.