General discussion

Camera for my mother

So my Mom is looking for a new camera and I told her I'd help her track something down. Here's what she is looking for.

1)A semi-compact to compact camera. Doesn't have to be tiny, but a bulk SLR sized body.
2)A fast camera. The majority of her photography will be of her grandkids, who are all very young and moving. So she needs a camera that can take photos quickly and not have a long lag time between shots.
3) A good sized LCD screen.

I would say in importance, camera speed is probably number 1. Now I would like to add that my mom is almost 60 years old. i know many cameras will give you shutter speed options to get a faster shot, but that's beyond her capabilities. What she really needs is something very easy to operate with minimal tinkering and all of the extra features aren't really needed.

Thanks,
Steven

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Camera for my mother
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Camera for my mother
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Mom's Camera

Take a look at the Canon SD1300.
It has a short shutter lag (0.2 sec).
Sharp photos.

- Collapse -
Intelligent Auto

Choose a camera with Intelligent Auto (Canon calls theirs Smart Auto), which analyzes the scene and adjusts the camera for the optimal exposure. It is not foolproof, but it will give a better chance of getting the picture than a regular automatic mode.

CNET Forums

Forum Info