Cameras forum

General discussion

Camera for dim light conditions

by Human_Dummie / February 24, 2005 12:17 PM PST

Hello there,

I have been doing some research on digital cameras for about two months now. Cnet.com has become my second net-home. Basically, I am looking for a camera that performs well in low light conditions such as concerts, restaurants and bars.
I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to give me some advice.

Thank you very much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camera for dim light conditions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camera for dim light conditions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Low Light Photography
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 10:47 PM PST

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned a dollar figure.

Most people want an ultra thin camera.
But that is not a good choice.

You need a camera with manual controls.
Because a camera in automatic mode will usually choose the wrong settings, in low light situations.
This means you will need to learn how to use those manual controls.

It is nice to have a camera with a very bright lens.
Something like a f-stop specification of f2.0
But there are only two of those - Canon G6 and Sony F828. Both cost over $500.

Among the less expensive smaller cameras, the Canon "A" series of cameras will work in low light situations (A75, A85, A95).
The A75 has been replaced by the new A510.
The A85 has been replaced by the new A520.

When looking for a camera, look for two things in the specifications:
Shutter Priority
Aperture Priority
If the the camera has those features, it will have the necessary manual controls to work with low light.

If you are looking for a low light camera with a large zoom, look at any of the long lens Panasonic Cameras.

The very best cameras for low light are the very expensive cameras that cost over $1,000.

Collapse -
Panasonic vs. Minolta
by Human_Dummie / February 26, 2005 4:13 PM PST
In reply to: Low Light Photography

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Size is an issue since I would be carrying the camera to different places but I am willing to trade size for features.

I am willing to spend no more than CDN$700-800 (about US$500-650) for the camera.

Between the Panasonics which one would you recommend: the FZ5 or FZ20. Is the autofocus ok in low light ?

I was also considering the Konica Minolta A1 but it weighs 500 grams. That's a little too much.

Once again, Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Panasonic
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Panasonic vs. Minolta

Here is a link to the specifications for the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=panasonic_dmcfz5%2Cpanasonic_dmcfz20&show=all

Differences I See:

FZ5 smaller and lighter - 326 grams/556 grams
FZ5 No manual focus (for low light work you may need manual focus)
FZ5 No Hot Shoe for external flash
FZ5 Smaller LCD (1.8/2.0)
FZ5 Loses some light when zoomed (rated f2.8-f3.7 and FZ20 rated f2.8-f2.8)

The Panasonic does well at focusing in low light but there are conditions where autofocus would be a problem.

Collapse -
Info on the Sony DSC-H1
by Human_Dummie / March 3, 2005 3:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Sony H1
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 5:32 AM PST

I just checked the Amazon.com site and they show a ship date of July 10, 2005.

They have it priced at $500.

The lens is rated at f2.8 and f3.7 when zoomed.

Weight is 460 grams.

With a possible ship date in July, it will probably be a few months before there are any reviews on that camera.

Collapse -
dim light photography
by Joe Ciccone / June 27, 2005 5:00 AM PDT

unless you want to spend thousands for a Digital SLR and some fast lens....you might have to resort to using a film SLR and some high speed film (800ASA)

Un-like digital SLR's which are pretty bulky and expensive (don't forget to check lens prices)
film SLR's are being 'given away' (so you will buy film and developing)and there size is small than there digital counterparts.

Collapse -
dim light photography
by Joe Ciccone / June 27, 2005 5:02 AM PDT

unless you want to spend thousands for a Digital SLR and some fast lens....you might have to resort to using a film SLR and some high speed film (800ASA)

Un-like digital SLR's which are pretty bulky and expensive (don't forget to check lens prices)
film SLR's are being 'given away' (so you will buy film and developing)and there size is small than there digital counterparts.

the other thought I had...don't know if your into camcorders...the Sony's with 'night shot' just about shoot in the dark....stills & or movies.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!