Question

Camera Conundrum

I've signed up to take an Introductory Photography course, and it requres:

"A 35mm Single Lens Reflex camera (film or digital) with manual focus and exposure capabilities is required"

I don't know much about cameras or photography, but I'm really hoping this class will give me a solid foundation. From researching what all of these terms mean, I've found some film cameras that satisfy the requirements (Pentax k1000, Nikon f10, Nikon n80), but I think I would rather invest in a digital camera. I feel silly asking this because I'm sure it's an obvious answer to a camera pro, but I can't really figure out which DSLRs meet the requirements listed and I don't want to buy the wrong thing. I'm not looking for anything really fancy or professional. For example, I would be happy with a Canon Rebel XS, would that fit the criteria?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Camera Conundrum
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Camera Conundrum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
SLR

All Digital SLR cameras fit that description.

The Canon Rebel XS will be fine.

Good for you, in taking that class.
You will learn the very important basics of photography.
A start for a lifetime of good pictures.

- Collapse -
Semantics

I am sure it won't matter and the Canon XS will be fine for the course, but strictly speaking, it is not a 35mm DSLR. The XS has a APS-C "cropped" sensor, smaller in comparison to a 35mm film camera. There are digital camera with sensors the same size as 35mm film cameras, but they are the professional, i.e. expensive models.

CNET Forums