Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Camera Comparison

by Sharingan_Kaden / June 21, 2009 1:22 PM PDT

Hi, im looking to buy a DSLR camera on a low budget. i basically worked it down to the Canon Rebel XS and the Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 ive done the comparison on the cnet site and the sony seems to win in all fields and is the same price. so what i wanted is to get some feedback from members about the cameras, i prefer personal experiance over technical specs on a page. are there any pros and cons between them? or any other info you can think of ill mainly be using it for outdoor landscapes and wildlife sort of photos.
or is there a better camera in the same budget range. the site did mention the pentax but i definitly want a live view.

Thank-you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camera Comparison
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camera Comparison
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't worry about live view
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / June 21, 2009 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Camera Comparison

Live view is not an option with the A200. The only DSLRs that do well on live view are the Sony A300 and A350. Live view is good, on other DSLRs, on a tripod for macro work and set scenes(because they are slow). You will find that the viewfinder is much better to use with a DSLR, especially considering the size and you can handhold shots better with a DSLR.

Just discussing the A200 and XS, I would choose the XS. The kit lens on the A200 is the worst kit lens sold on a DSLR. Both DSLRs can produce better photos than you are capable to get out of the camera.

Other differences are:

XS has less noise and more detail in high ISO
XS has better jpeg output
Sony's current lens lineup costs more than the Canon

With Sony you get image stabilization built in, but Canon's image stabilized lens cost less than Sony's non-stabilized.

Collapse -
Canon Rebel XS Wins!
by Sharingan_Kaden / June 22, 2009 9:13 AM PDT

Thanks. Went and got the Canon Rebel XS today, also saw the Sony A300 which was selling for the same price but alot of people i spoke to recommended the Rebel XS. Happy so far with it.

Collapse -
You're better off with it
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / June 22, 2009 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon Rebel XS Wins!

The Sony A300 has real problems in high ISOs and uses heavy noise reduction(reducing details)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!