HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Camcorder with firewire that supports Video8??

by poddster / March 29, 2008 9:02 AM PDT

Hi

I'm looking for a second-hand camcorder (probably a Sony) that supports backward compatibility with Video 8 tapes, and also has a firewire/iLink port to connect to my computer.

The background story is that I have a bunch of old Video 8 tapes that I'd like to digitize. Unfortunately my old Sony camcorder is dead, and I need to find a replacement to hook up to my computer. From what I've read, I'll get the best result if I can find a camcorder with the above support.

Any ideas? Camcorder model numbers for me to further investigate would be ideal. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder with firewire that supports Video8??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder with firewire that supports Video8??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony camcorder info
by sheilakmcd / March 29, 2008 10:17 PM PDT

Here is a link to a post on Camcorderinfo.com that has a zip file you can download with model comparisons. I used it a few years ago when I was in your same situation. I bought a used Sony TRV-320 on ebay and it worked great for digitizing my old tapes from my dead Hitachi.

Be aware that if you recorded your tapes in LP mode, the chances are that no other camera is going to be able to replay your tapes.

Collapse -
The link
by sheilakmcd / March 29, 2008 10:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
"Standard 8" = Video 8?
by poddster / March 30, 2008 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: The link

This is great, thanks very much! I assume that the under the media formats catehory, where it says "standard 8", that means Video 8?

Collapse -
(NT) To the best of my knowledge, yes
by sheilakmcd / March 30, 2008 5:57 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.