Cameras forum

General discussion

Camcorder troubled [plz help :)

hey guys i recently borrowed my school's camera to do a project for my film and video class. my teacher gave me everything but i have a big problem and my project is due in 3 days. i do not have a firewire port on my computer but i do have the usb cord, is there anyway i can get it to work, i plugged it into my computer and it picked up new hardware but it will not install. is there something i need to download or does the camcorder just not work with usb. help me please!

ps my camcorder is a sony digital 8 handycam dcr-trv340, and windows xp

thanks, travis

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder troubled [plz help :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder troubled [plz help :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think most here will agree that you need to install a

In reply to: Camcorder troubled [plz help :)

firewire card, and get the appropriate firewire cable. Both should be fairly inexpensive. You should NOT need to get the Sony cable.

Collapse -
firewire?

In reply to: I think most here will agree that you need to install a

Firewire is just for streaming fast live video isnt it? I dont think you need it just to transfer the videos from the machine to your comp do you? Its faster then USB so maybe if you transfer ALOT of large files you would want it but maybe not for just one project.

When you install the camera, does it list in your "my computer" section? where your C:/ drive and CDrom drives are located? some just show up as a new device and you can drag and drop or copy and paste the files.

You may need a driver though im not sure. Do a search for a driver for that camera

Collapse -
Bower tends to provide opinions in subject areas that he/she

In reply to: firewire?

knows very little about. It appears that firewire and video capture is one of those subject areas.

Collapse -
His question marks....

In reply to: Bower tends to provide opinions in subject areas that he/she

show that he does not know and that he is asking a question to find out if he is correct or not... he is not giving opinions, but wanting confirmation...

Collapse -
Perhaps. I did not read it that way.

In reply to: His question marks....

However, if you want to try to explain it, be my guest.

In any event, let's try to be sure that the high school kid doesn't get confused.

Collapse -
I agree...

In reply to: Perhaps. I did not read it that way.

but also want things to stay calm in here. I already argued with another poster before and it wasn't pretty. So, a happy forum is a productive forum...

Collapse -
Thumbs Up!

In reply to: I agree...

I did not want a fight, but I did want to get a warning out there that maybe the info is not the best. Enough said?

Collapse -
(NT) Yep.

In reply to: Thumbs Up!

Collapse -
Kiddpeat is trying to hard

In reply to: Bower tends to provide opinions in subject areas that he/she

To turn this into a personal attack or somthing because i didnt agree with him about SVP cameras or that other manufactures try to deceive people into buying their items the same way SVP is.

he/she needs to open their eyes to everything.

The resason i responded to this thread is because i have a canon S2 and i cut a USB cable and extended it using a 50ft network cable so i could control the camera using remote capture.

When i plugged the cable in windows XP gave me a message that said "a firewire device has been plugged into a non firewire port" Im a bit confused why i got this message. People said it wouldnt work but it worked it just gave me that message.

Collapse -
Let's look at your track record Bower.

In reply to: Kiddpeat is trying to hard

In this thread, you claimed to have a Canon S3 IS. Within the last few days, you've claimed that you were going to buy an SVP 12X, and in this thread you are claiming to have a Canon S2.

You've recently claimed that Canon is using the same sensor in two different cameras with vastly different megapixel specifications only to finally reveal that you are basing that claim on the physical size of the package. When it was explained that you cannot reach such a conclusion based on physical size you refused to believe it.

You've called Canon, Nikon, etc. liars while defending the crappy cameras from SVP. Now, you are claiming to have converted a USB cable to, presumably, connect a USB input or ouput port to a firewire input or output port. Care to post the wiring diagram?

In short, you seem quite intent on pushing and/or selling SVP cameras while simultaneously exhibiting a somewhat challenged understanding of electronics and photography. My goal in this thread is to simply point out that your posts should be read with a healthy dose of scepticism. How soon can we expect that wiring diagram?

BTW, were you able to control the camera on this firewire/usb hybrid, or did you simply get a Windows message?

Oh yes, this thread is dealing with video capture. It sounds like you are perhaps talking about a tethered, still camera capture process. The advice to use firewire applies to a video capture.

Collapse -
Firewire to DVD quality , USB to VCD low quality

I have a similar model. To use USB you will need a Driver you can download from www.sonystyle.com. or use the following link
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=DCRTRV340&UpdateType=Everything&SelectOS=7

If you want to create a VCD (Low quality Video), USB is enough, using a good Pentium IV class computer. But if you want optimal results to edit and create a DVD or similar quality, You will need a Firewire connection ("iLink" according to Sony standard). If You use a PC Desktop computer You will need to buy a Firewire pci Card and the cable (6 to 4 pins, depends of your card) I?m using a laptop with firewire integrated and I had to buy a 4 -4 pins Firewire cable.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Firewire is better than USB..

In Video you always want the Best..
I even use a Firewire for my EXT. SONY DRX-720UL..Burner/SONY iLink..
also..
Video Authoring and Editing demands the Minimum requirements be met..
Don't try and get around anything/it ain't gonna' work..
Also I have found the Pentium 4 is a must-nothing less..
And a NTFS HDD..File System..
512MB's of RAM will help alot.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.