General discussion

Camcorder Storage Options

Any idea on what is the best storage options on the camcorders - there seems to be a ton of options and I am slightly confused - Can someone give me a quick outline on the important options and what sort of usage goes with each.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Camcorder Storage Options
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Camcorder Storage Options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
So many posts.

I'm unsure why you didn't start with calling a maker of such on their pre-sales line and see if they can answer a few questions.

If they won't do that, no sale.
Bob

- Collapse -
"Best" according to whom?

I use miniDV tape. It stores low-compression, high quality DV/HDV format video. My computers can deal with a firewire connection. Digital tape is an acceptable - and affordable - long term storage solution. I do not reuse tapes so I have original video from years' past and even archive final edited projects out to digital tape. Yes, I have lots of tapes - all clearly marked and stored in a cool, dry environment.

When I move the flash memory, it will be because I have first invested in a multi-terabyte network-attached storage (NAS) solution that is configured as RAID1 so there are two hard disc drives in the NAS case drives with the same data. When one crashes, it gets replaced and re-mirrored automatically by the existing working drive.

If your computers cannot deal with firewire, then miniDV tape is not "Best" for you. Generally, adding an IEEE1394 port is easy to do - assuming the computer has an available expansion slot.

If you have no long term storage infrastructure to keep your video, then flash memory will not be "best" for you just as it is currently not "best" for me.

There are not a "ton of options" for camcorder video storage... In the less than $5,000 range, SDHC or ProDuo flash memory cards, digital tape (mini DV), and maybe a few hard disc drive systems (falling out of favor due to known internal hard disc issues associated with vibration and altitude).

CNET Forums