Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Camcorder newbie

by yeleek / November 20, 2007 1:45 AM PST

Hi,
Looking to get a camcorder and am leaning towards a minidv based camcorder (better quality for price and no dvd issues).

The process of taking the finished film from a minidv tape to your pc is what i'd like advise on. Are there opensource options for this process, are they any good? Same for editing - opensource options? Not looking for anything fancy just something to put family films together.

And does a camcorder need anything other than fireware/usb to allow you to do this?

Many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder newbie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder newbie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of short answers and more questions...
by boya84 / November 20, 2007 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Camcorder newbie

1) Firewire is Firewire... also known as IEEE1394 and i.Link. This is how the miniDV tape video will import from the DVport of the camcorder to the FireWire port of the computer.

2) USB is USB. Universal Serial bus. This will transfer stills from the camcorder to the computer if the camcorder can take stills and store them on a memory card.

3) What kind of PC are you using? What type of CPU? Which operating system? Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) and Vista (I think) come with bundled video editor (MovieMaker); you can use WinDV to import from the camcorder to the computer. MacOSX comes with a video Editor (iMovie). There are several Unix "open source" item... but "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".

4) Connect the camcorder to the computer with FireWire, put it in play (or VCR) mode), Launch WinDV or iMovie and import. Very straightforward.

5) How much available hard drive space does your computer have? Standard definition uses 13 gig for 1 hour - high definition uses 3x-4x more... an external drive ONLY for video projects is strongly recommended - minimum 250 gig - preferably connected by FireWire to the computer.

Have you done a seach using the terms "open source video editor"? I did - lots of hits...

Collapse -
Thanks
by yeleek / November 20, 2007 5:12 PM PST

Hi,

PC is winxp SP2 with 2gb ram, dual core and about 200gb free in space.

Thanks for the info re what firewire and what usb are used for - hadn't realized that they are for different things with a camcorder (do have 2x firewire ports).

As for software, found the below... Any exp of it? or thoughts recommendations? THere are other open source software options i've found yes but are either *nix only or can only batch process avi's rather than edit specific files.
http://www.jahshaka.org/

Thanks

Collapse -
I have Windows XP and Macintosh machines
by boya84 / November 20, 2007 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

in my house - I do all video editing on my Macs... sorry - can't help you.

MovieMaker is bundled with XP SP2...

Your machine has about the minimum available hard drive space - I would suggest another one - external if needed (connected via Firewire).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.