Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Camcorder Info

I'm looking to buy to upgrade from a High 8 camcorder to a digital model. I don't need anything special, just use it for home movies etc. From everything I've read, I think one with a hard drive would be best for me, but I'm trying to see if I should go with a HD one or not. Is the price difference worth it? Also, I have a MAC computer. Are most of these cmacorders compatabile with MAC to burn DVD's or will I need a new burner?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder Info
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder Info
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you go with a

In reply to: Camcorder Info

hard drive (HDD) based, high definition camcorder, be aware that if you shoot video in standard definition, the resulting highly compressed MPEG2 files need to be translated/converted using StreamClip before iMovieHD or FinalCut can do anything with them.

If you shoot video in high definition, the resulting even more highly compressed AVCHD encoded video can be used only by the most current versions of iMovieHD or FinalCut capable of using AVCHD encoded files.

Once the video is in iMovie or FinalCut and the editing is done and you are ready to burn a DVD on your Mac's SuperDrive - so the DVD can be played back in any "regular" (standard definition) DVD player, iDVD and DVD Studio will take care of making sure that DVD uses the right codec and compression. If this video started as high definition, iDVD and DVD Stuio will downsample to standard definition. There is nothing special for you to do.

If you want a DVD capable of playing in high definition, you have two paths:

1) Export the video project as an AVCHD data file. Burn that video data file to a DVD. From what I understand, this can be played back using a PS3.

2) Get a BluRay burner connected to your Mac and burn the DVD job as a high def file to be played back using a BluRay player attached to your HDTV.
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10058
The blank discs are a bit expensive
http://shop1.frys.com/search?cat=-59552&pType=pDisplay

For reasons I won't repeat in this thread, HDD is not something I would recommend... At this point in time, first choice is miniDV tape (uses musch less sompressed DV and HDV), second choice is flash memory (like HDD, uses MPEG2 and AVCHD). All other consumer video data storage types (HDD and DVD) fall off the list.

Collapse -
In what ways will it be better for you?

In reply to: Camcorder Info

MiniDV is not necessarily the only good option. Depending on your uses, the right camcorder may turn out to be a HDD camcorder.

Collapse -
I said...

In reply to: In what ways will it be better for you?

first choice is miniDV tape
second choice is flash memory

Never said MiniDV is the only good option

Collapse -
Sorry it came across that way.

In reply to: I said...

I never meant that comment to be a response to your first post. That was just my own thoughts about choices that the original poster will have in making a decision.

Sorry, for the confusion.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.