HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

camcorder for extreme condition

by newbietech / June 28, 2008 8:18 PM PDT

Im looking at buying my first camcorder that I can use in my vacation trips. I was looking at getting a Sony SR12 or Canon HF10. What cam can you recommend if I often go on ski trips and hiking -- were the cam will be exposed in high altitude and extreme temperature?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: camcorder for extreme condition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: camcorder for extreme condition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hard drive based camcorders may not be
by boya84 / June 28, 2008 11:44 PM PDT

the best way to go.

We already know they have issues with loud audio:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7594_102-0.html?forumID=59&threadID=299021&messageID=2798610

Here is the link for the manual for the SR12:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=HDRSR12

And for the HF10:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=16186#DownloadDetailAct

Check the environmental specs...
Page 5 in the Sony handbook has some things to say about not using the camcorder in extreme environments, including altitude limitation.
Page 34 of the Operating guide has some specifics about the operating temperature range

Page 122 of the HF10 manual has limited information about operating temperature range.

The internal hard drive used is similar to that found in some laptop computers - they too should not be used in extreme conditions unless specially "ruggedized" for extreme environments.

You will find similar temperature limits with consumer flash and miniDV tape based camcorders - but generally not altitude or loud noise/vibration/drop limits. Sony HDR-HC series; HVR series; Canon FS series; HV series

Collapse -
camcorder operating temperatures
by ya_mikew / July 12, 2008 5:29 PM PDT

Like newbietech, I want to take my camcorder out in the snow.

Most camcorders seem to have specs for operating temperatures between 0 and 40 degrees C (32F to 104F). For example, the two camcorders I'm trying to choose between: Canon FS10 (flash/SDHC) and Sony DCR-S220 (HDD/Memory Stick).

Despite the specs, can I use a camcorder at temperatures around -10C?

I note that the specs of some memory cards state that they operate between -25C and 85C. For example, Sandisk 2GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo. Could I turn the HDD & flash recording off at these temperatures & just record to one of these "extreme" memory cards?

Another option I came across is a hand-heated/insulated case, like the PortaBrace Polar Mitten, which retails between $250 and $320: http://www.portabrace.com/productB-POL-M1.5. Are these useful for camcorders without viewfinders?

Other than precautions against condensation and short-battery life, what else (equipment-wise) should I consider when filming in the snow?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Collapse -
If you look at the altitude
by boya84 / July 12, 2008 11:52 PM PDT

requirements of the HDD recorders, they will fall off your list. I have not seen specific altitude requirements for either flash or miniDV tape - though you are right, all electronics (camcorders or otherwise) do have operating temperatures specified.

The Sandisk 2GB Extreme III Memory Stick PRO Duo is flash memory. How would you "turn the HDD & flash recording off at these temperatures & just record to one of these "extreme" memory cards?" The media makes only some difference in the camcorder - it is the camcorder's sensors that might shut the camera down when it senses environmentals well outside the published spec.

As for use without a viewfinder - perhaps a call or email to PortaBrace is in order. I would expect that any opening that allows the LCD panel to be used would allow too much cold into the protective case rendering that protection moot... plus, if it is THAT cold, the LCD panel could be useless...

In either case, "Can you use the camcorder" outside the published spec? Sure - though using anything (not just camcorders) in a manner for which they were not intended may void the warranty.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.