Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Camcorder for day bike rides/ day and night long car drives!

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a video camera and I need tips from you.

Initially i was thinking of just buying one to mount on my bike so I can videotape my day rides both on and off road. Any cheap compact size camera should do for this purpose. I was going to weatherproof it myself so this shouldn't be an issue.

But then I thought I might as well use it in my car and work van and videotape my long drives (both day and night). But this made the decision on which camera to buy a bit too technical for me because I want night clips to be of reasonable quality too.

So a reasonably priced, compact size, light weight, decent quality (but not super quality), decent quality in night mode and may be some sort of image stabilization to address bumpy roads vibrations.

Im just trying to find one thats fit for purpose. It would be great if you can just help me translate my requirements into video-camera's world technical specification like the suitable MegaPixels and other features that I'm totally unaware of.

Thanks!

m.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder for day bike rides/ day and night long car drives!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder for day bike rides/ day and night long car drives!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GoPro HD experience

In reply to: Camcorder for day bike rides/ day and night long car drives!

I ended getting a GoPro HD to film during skiing, downhill biking and for my motorcycle. I paid around $300 for it. I've only used it on the motorcycle and downhilling.

The video is pretty good. Audio is pretty good. Battery life isn't that great. I think you get around 2 hours per charge (will be worse in the winter). I really need to get a 2nd battery.

I tried to find a mount on my motorcycle (Buell) but the vibrations were too much - even with the suction cup mount. You have to mount it to a helmet.

I've only used it a hand full of times. I haven't gone through half of the footage. It kinda gets boring after a while. The videos take up a good amount of space on the hard drive. I'd really think twice before filming your work van trips. If you spent two hour driving do you really want to relive those two hours watching that footage???

One of the biggest shortcomings is the battery life. I can't keep it powered on all the time. I haven't really looked into editing and don't want to waste footage on boring parts. Having to take my hand off the handle bars doesn't always work out. A remote control would be very nice.

Collapse -
We find for motorcycle tours in Thailand GoPro's are best

In reply to: GoPro HD experience

We operate motorcycle tours in Thailand & for video content on our tour website, GoPro is the easiest to work with. Many people now are drilling holes in the case so that an external battery wire can be plugged in to the GoPro, the only negative about the GoPro is the battery life. You can use a phone battery pack/ juice box as the external battery, it work real well. When we a running a Thailand offroad motorcycle tour, if you secure the external battery we've found that it will stay plugged into the GoPro and you have battery power all day long opposed to changing 4 or 5 GoPro batteries.

Post was last edited on March 17, 2016 3:56 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!