Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Camcorder capture failure.

by Du Dah Man / April 20, 2007 5:29 AM PDT

I have a Panasonic VDR-D250 mini-disk camcorder. The image files on the disk are in a .vor format. The video editing software supplied by Panasonic is called DVD MovieAlbum and DVD FunStuff. My computer is a Vaio PCG-K25 running Windows XP Home. Here's the problem: the MovieAlbum software will only recognize either drives D or E as vaild drives and only if there is nothing else on that particular drive. My computer recognizes the camcorder on drive G, drive D is a partition on my HDD and E is reserved for a memory stick. Panasonic was unrepentant and unapologetic for using such a lame editing program--their suggustion "reformat and remap your computer". Since that's not going to happen I'm looking for another editing program that will recognize the .vor file format and recognize the camcorder on whatever drive it happens to show up under. Any suggustions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Camcorder capture failure.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Camcorder capture failure.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go get the Ulead demo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 5:56 AM PDT

Over at ulead.com are demos of their current product. See if that works for you.

Bob

Collapse -
Already been there, done that...
by Du Dah Man / April 24, 2007 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Go get the Ulead demo.

Appreciate the response, Bob. I did download their Vista 10 Plus trial and it doesn't appear to recognize the .vor file type.

Collapse -
Then use the other DVD format.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2007 7:44 AM PDT

Some DVD camcorders have extended play features that wipe out any possibility of using software except what the camcorder maker offers. As the doctor said to me "don't do that."

Bob

Collapse -
video software
by Les28 / April 24, 2007 7:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
They noted a .VOR file
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2007 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: video software

That's a new one on me or their typo.

Bob

Collapse -
I agree Bob
by Les28 / April 24, 2007 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: They noted a .VOR file

I'm assuming a typo as the only VOR I could find is connected with Open Office or Star Office, but the VRO filetype is for DVD RAM I think, Les.

Collapse -
.VRO is supported by many makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2007 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree Bob

The Ulead demo should have worked. And you noted the others.

Bob

Collapse -
USB connection
by Les28 / April 25, 2007 6:09 AM PDT

Du Dah Man are you trying to access the camera from the Ulead or any other video editing software? The reason I ask is most video editing software doesn't like USB connection and I think your camera is USB connection to PC ?
I think you are going to have to drag a copy of your DVD_RTAV\VR_MOVIE.VRO from your camera disc when it's in your DVD drive in your PC onto your C drive and try and see if Ulead or any other vid edit software can recognise the file, maybe even change the file ending from VRO to MPG if necessary.
A friend of mine got a DVD disc camcorder when they first came onto the market with only USB connection to the PC, the cam manufacturers vid edit software, which he could install on his C drive was quite happy with the camera but no other vid editing software would recognise it.
A copy of the VOB files that his camera used had to be dragged to the C drive and sometimes renamed mpg not vob for other vid edit progs to accept it.
Have a look at this page Part A about dragging VRO files off disc and onto hard drive and also about formatting the disc etc.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=232309

Collapse -
VOR VRO or VOB
by Les28 / April 25, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

Is the file type VOR VRO or VOB ? You say VOR, my previous reply was based on it being VRO, if it turns out to be VOB same procedure as previous, drag files from camera disc in your DVD drawer onto PC hard drive only it will be VOB files from your Video_TS folder, which may need the ending changing from .vob to .mpg to be recognised by your video editing program. The only VOR filetype I've seen is a template file in Star Office so I've been thinking it's VRO a DVD RAM format but your camera I think takes normal DVD discs as well as RAM so it may be VOB but I think you'll need the files dragged onto your PC's hard drive either way as the USB connection will not enable vid editing progs to see your camera, so you must bring the files to your hard drive and then open the vid edit prog and open the files from the vid edit prog.

Collapse -
Was a Typo!
by Du Dah Man / April 25, 2007 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: VOR VRO or VOB

Sorry y'all. They are VRO files.
I just opened Ulead's VideoStudio 10 and still no go. First off the program tells me there's no device to be captured even though the computer is seeing the camera on G: and I can play the video images thru WinDVD so it's not a question of the camera not interfacing with the laptop. Secondly, when I try to open the image files manually VRO files are not listed as a recognizable file type in the drop-down menue. If I click on the VRO file and try to open it I get an error message which states "unable to open VR_MOVIE.VRO, file format mismatch".

As far as moving the files to a different drive: although I can do that I still can't open them, at least thru Ulead, and can't change the file format by simply calling it something different. The image files show up as VR_MOVIE without any visable extension. When I move the cursor over the file it shows as a VRO file and when I move this file it shows the .VRO extension in "the moving file to" window. If I add a .mpeg to VR_MOVIE it now becomes VR_MOVIE.mpeg.vor

I am using DVD RAM disks that have been formated in the Camcorder but whether in the camera on G: or on C:, D: or E: it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Collapse -
Try the Tutorial at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2007 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Was a Typo!
Collapse -
Good tutorial
by Les28 / April 25, 2007 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Was a Typo!

That's a fine tutorial Bob sent, I don't think you'll have any trouble now. As you can see the camera isn't needed in the transfer process, it's done its work taking the movie and that's it as far as the camera is concerned, you use the disc or the files on it now.
If you're still having trouble with Ulead recognising the files you had better assign Ulead to open these files, right click on one of the VRO files and select Open With then Browse to your C/Program Files/Ulead folder click to open the folder and click on the Ulead actual program file and select use this to open always. You can determine the actual program file first by opening the Ulead program from the Ulead folder in your C/Program Files folder to make sure you've got the correct item to assign.
No need to bother changing file type ending to mpg, Ulead should manage OK with vro looking at that tutorial and anyway if you had tried changing the ending to mpeg instead of mpg 4 letters instead of 3, you wouldn't have had any luck.Les.

Collapse -
Ulead, I lead, we all lead...
by Du Dah Man / April 28, 2007 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Good tutorial

Bob & Les, Ulead does not support vro files! I have however, found a prog by AVS which will convert vro to most other formats. Unfortunately when converting, at least the demo prog will only convert the first minuet of the vro file. I've got an email to the co asking if this is indeed a limit on the demo version. If I can get this to work then I'll be able to use any editor. AVS's own editor will not work directly with vro's and I've yet to find one that will. Panasonic thinks that Tosheba uses vro and I might see if they offer their editing software for download.

Collapse -
Since I've done this, it does for me. HOWEVER!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2007 10:53 AM PDT

There are ways to break it. Namely that extended recording feature. Ulead does write about it somewhere and I should have noted it at least once (if I didn't then flog me.)

Since it works for me, then something is different from the stock settings.

Bob

Collapse -
A few options
by Les28 / April 28, 2007 8:37 PM PDT

Ulead should support import of VRO files but like Bob says it may be something to do with extended recording times, or mixed recording times on the disc, you could check with Ulead support over that, or the AVS convertor sounds OK if the one minute thing is only in the trial version, I think I sent the AVS as a link earlier on.

Also I hear the Womble will work with VRO files, have a look at this link for Womble,
http://womble.com/products/Feature.htm

the Womble MVW product looks OK as you will probably only need to export your finished work as mpeg2 format not avi as I think your VRO file is mpeg2 type and there doesn't seem much point in exporting as avi which will be a much larger file only to have it reduced later back to mpeg2 by your DVD burning software if you plan to make a DVD out of your edited work and you'll avoid any possibility of the AVI type 1 or 2 issue which can cause problems with some budget range video editing software and you may need something like Canopus to convert from type 1 to 2 which is all extra file bashing which doesn't help image quality.

Maybe the Womble product will allow you to edit as well, otherwise you could just use it as a bulk file type converter from vro to mpeg2 and then as you say any vid editing suite including windows own movie maker2 will accept the mpeg2 for editing.
Let us know how you get on, Les.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?