TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Calling owners of Panasonic DMR-BWT735 recorder

by Bytheseaside / June 14, 2014 5:38 PM PDT

About 20 minutes before my Panasonic DMR-BWT735 recorder starts recording a timer programme, it does some business with itself. If it is not switched on at the time, you can hear it making small noises to itself. While it does that business which takes a few seconds, it appears to stop doing other things, including recording!

For example: if I have recorded a drama from 9 to 10 pm & then separately recorded the news from 10pm, when I watch back the drama recording there will be a point at about 20 minutes before the end when the recording will freeze for a moment & then restart, missing part of the programme. The news recording will be fine. The recording fault never occurs when recordings are made in isolation: i.e. more than 20 minutes away from other recordings.

The result of this flaw is that we have a lot of recordings where the recording has obviously stopped for a short period during the course of the programme, then restarted, the pause always occurring 20 minutes before another recording had been set to start.

If you have one of these machines, please can you tell me if it does the same thing? If you set up a timer recording, does the machine click & whirr to itself 20 mins before the start time? Do you have odd pauses in any of your recordings that could coincide with such activity?

Panasonic Service say they have passed it on to their tech staff, but I've not heard from them yet. I don't believe the problem can be unique to my machine. I'm sure it did not occur before the Sept 2013 software update.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Calling owners of Panasonic DMR-BWT735 recorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Calling owners of Panasonic DMR-BWT735 recorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A rather slim clue was in a review.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2014 2:38 AM PDT

" You can't record while using the apps portal or player's DLNA functionality "

I won't elaborate here. Let Panasonic do that but in short if your DMR is on your network other DLNA devices could chat with this device and cause the odd failure. No I don't own this model but there's a clue in those reviews, not much of one but it would lead me to investigate what else is on my network.
Bob

Collapse -
by Bytheseaside / June 24, 2014 5:39 PM PDT

Thank you for that thought. I've taken my recorder off the network, but it's made no difference.

What I would really like is for users of this machine to tell me if their recorder makes whirring noises for a few seconds about 20 minutes before each timer recording. A simple yes/no answer would suffice. I'm trying to find out whether this problem is general, or unique to my machine.

Thank you.

John

Collapse -
My other DVR does such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2014 1:09 AM PDT

It spins up the HDD in advance to read it and prepare in advance. Now I'll tip my hand here that I was involved in DVR code in recorders a few years ago so we would spin the drives and re-read the TOC to be sure that all was good to go.

Such detail is rarely shared with the clients so all I can add is that it would be normal to hear the HDD and fans spin up.
Bob

Collapse -
by Bytheseaside / June 25, 2014 5:31 PM PDT

Thank you, Bob.

Next question: does your machine spin up for a later recording when it's already recording a programme? If so, does it stop that recording briefly while spinning up? This is what mine seems to be doing.

Regards

John

Collapse -
The fans do vary according to need.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2014 11:10 PM PDT

-> can you get to what the concern is here? Some clients get annoyed with the system sounds and want explainations about fan, drive and every little noise. Those clients are usually sent off to a special tech support line to explode unless they are buying thousands of the units.
Bob

Collapse -
by Bytheseaside / June 26, 2014 5:25 PM PDT

I've tried stating my concern at the top of this post. The noise doesn't bother me at all - it's just a symptom of the problem. Essentially, many of my recordings have a hole knocked in them - a small piece of the programme is missing!

Perhaps I haven't explained it well. When you watch the recorded programme, at some point it will freeze then restart, obviously some seconds later in the programme. After much research, I came to the conclusion this freeze was associated with the way the recorder does it's bit of business about 20 minutes before each timer recording. If the machine is recording another programme at that moment, the recorder will actually stop recording while it does the business, losing some seconds of the recorded programme. Is what I'm saying clear to you? If not, I'll try & explain a different way.

Panasonic have insisted "this is a known issue caused by the broadcast time tables changing and there is nothing that we can do to solve it." - though I find this very hard to believe: the problem never arose on my old Panasonic DMREX75 recorder. Why should the broadcast time tables changing cause my machine to stop recording briefly?

John

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2014 1:21 AM PDT

I was only covering the noise areas and didn't dive into where DVRs can indeed lose a second as it fills some buffer or can't keep up.

I can only guess it did this from day one so in that case it's a bad design or unit. Only other owners can confirm it's a common issue but it really does not matter as if they tell you theirs work it won't fix yours.

Call it in or return it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.