Samsung forum

General discussion

Called Netflix to Cancel - No firmware for BD-P1600

by canadadave / March 1, 2011 3:59 AM PST

I just got off the phone to Netflix and "Jason" says that Samsung hasn't been asking for any Netflix Firmware Upgrades for "older" Samsung Players such a my BD-P1600. (For Canada!!)

They are available for newer Samsung Players though.

I just cancelled my subscription to Netflix and will wait until the firmware for the Samsung becomes available. He says it's OK on the newer C series Blu-Ray players from Samsung. Since I just spent $200.00 on this one I'm not prepared to purchase another one.... especially from Samsung.

Question for our Samsung Tech.

With the newest firmware 2.15 I am now able to view Youtube without a hitch. My only question I have now is.... Ever since I opened the box last week I've been unable to play any DVD or Blu-Ray movies on the BD-P1600. It says "Unable to play this disk"
Is there any quick fix or combination of keys to press to reset or allow me to play these disks. (Maybe drop it on it's side or something :)) )

I've already tried the reset keys (fastforward keys) but it doesn't do anything. If I have to return the BD-P1600 for repair it's not worthwhile and I can't afford it.

Thanks for listening

Dave from Toronto

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Called Netflix to Cancel - No firmware for BD-P1600
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Called Netflix to Cancel - No firmware for BD-P1600
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by sunlaker / March 1, 2011 11:32 AM PST

You just spend 200 bucks on a 1600? Where did you buy it? I didn't even think it was still available. Why didn't you buy a BD5500. it plays Netflix and it's only 129 bucks at Bestbuy and a few other places.

I agree that the 1600 plays netflix in the US but not Canada is ridiculous but if you just purchased that machine take it back and get the right one for less.

Collapse -
Purchased a year ago :)
by canadadave / March 1, 2011 11:47 AM PST

Hey sunlaker.. thanks for the reply.... I purchased the BD-P1600 more than a year ago when I received a small gift certificate .

I only decided to open the box 2 weeks ago when friends started giving me Blu-Ray disk presents for my 65th birthday.

Since my Divx DVD played all my downloaded internet movies there was no reason to change to Blu-Ray at the time.

Too bad I didn't open the box sooner when I still had a warrantee. YIKES !!!

Thanks for the update :))

Dave

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 3, 2011 7:52 AM PST

canadadave,

Netflix for Canada wasn't released until late last year, so if there's a firmware update that will allow it to play Netflix, it would have to be Netflix Canada writing the App for your player.

As for not playing discs, it may need to be serviced. You can try resetting it by doing the following:

With the unit powered ON, press and hold the STOP key for 15 seconds. While this will delete the current information (such as wireless set up), it will effectively re-install the last installed software. This may be able to help you play discs.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung broke my Blu-ray player, they should fix it
by I_hate_Samsung / March 8, 2011 9:40 AM PST

I too have a BD-P1600 with firmware 2.15 and have a player which no longer plays BDs after playing them perfectly well for over a year with numerous firmware updates.

What is Samsung going to do about this? Do you accept this is your fault yet? I see complaints going right back to v2.09, with more owners getting a brick for their update with each release.

I expect Samsung to fix my device, they broke it

Collapse -
Samsung broke my Blu-ray player, they should fix it
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 9, 2011 4:48 AM PST

I_hate_Samsung,

What did they say when you called and inquired?

If they gave you a transaction number, post it here and I'll be happy to see if a manager can review the situation.

--HDTech

Collapse -
You're screwed just like me!
by Mr_Snooch / March 3, 2011 10:00 AM PST

My player is a brick because of a firmware update and they won't stand behind it. Less than one year from purchase date and they say it's out of warranty because unit says 2009 on back. Never again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.