The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Call Out For Molly And Veronica

by adkinsjm / April 7, 2006 7:57 AM PDT

I don't know if this was mentioned this week, but the Simpsons was renewed for a full two years after this season. How did I reach this information? CNET's own TV.com. Just check your own resources before speculating. A little fact checking, even on the fly since you do have a computer in front of you during the show would not hurt.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Call Out For Molly And Veronica
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Call Out For Molly And Veronica
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh please
by MacHugger / April 7, 2006 8:19 AM PDT

With spontaneous conversation, do you honestly instantly check everything that comes out of your mouth?

It's like assuming that somebody who works for CNN is aware of every single news item that exists in their entire network.

I happened to hear about the Simpsons renewal long before the podcast and their comments didn't come off as disinformation. They were just commenting about what they had previously heard if the Simpsons were ever to do a movie.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Nice to check
by adkinsjm / April 7, 2006 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh please

They should check if they talk about it on air. Just making a comment and don't be a smart alec.

Collapse -
dude its a talk show
by rechellesharp / April 7, 2006 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice to check

Its a talk show and people speaking their mind and opinions.

It's not like they mislead you. It was very clear what they said.

If you want only the news don't listen to a talk show like podcast, listen to the news

Collapse -
I Never Accused Anyone Of Deception
by adkinsjm / April 7, 2006 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: dude its a talk show

Did I accuse them of misleading me? Will I have to travel to San Francisco and jump off the Golden Gate Bridge and become a martyr because BOL "let me down"? Probably not, and some people just need to chill out. It is not as if I critized Apple or stood up for Sony.

On saying that it is a talk show, that is not a justification for looking up the facts. If that was true, any talk show on the radio should be off the air for all the mistakes they make. If you want to defend BOL, which they do not need defending since they do a good job most of the time, you need to make an arguement that actually makes sense.

Collapse -
David's argument makes sense...
by MacHugger / April 7, 2006 6:25 PM PDT

Yours does not.

Breakdown:

adkinsjm: "just check your own sources before speculating. A little fact checking, even on the fly since you do have a computer in front of you during the show would not hurt"

interpretation of your argument: spontaneous, offhand commentary of something heard in the past if a movie of the Simpsons was ever made must be checked "on the fly."

THAT doesn't make sense. What is there to check? If they heard that in the past, they heard that in the past regardless of whether or not the Simpsons was picked up for another two years.

David's argument: "It's a talk show and people speak their mind and opinions."

What's difficult to understand about that?

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Talk Show Opinions
by adkinsjm / April 7, 2006 7:36 PM PDT

If that is the line of reasoning, a talk show host can say I heard the President Bush or whoever else famous thinks Hitler is great. What Molly and Veronica discussed is nowhere close to that level, it's the lightest subject you can probably talk about. But you can't use the talk show arguement to justify statements made on the fly or then anything said on a talk show that is speculation could be written off as something just said on a talk show.

Collapse -
Isn't that the point
by rechellesharp / April 8, 2006 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Talk Show Opinions

Thats the point,

What they said was never mentioned as a fact. It was mentioned as ''I heard this.........''

It is up to you as a listener to place you own weight to what that is worth.

Your agurement of ''If that is the line of reasoning, a talk show host can say I heard the President Bush or whoever else famous thinks Hitler is great.'' is some what flawed.

I believe a talk show host could say what you mentioned. Its called freedom of speech. However if they did they would risk being sued for deformation of character.

This is because they are talking about a person and throwing that persons character into question, that is hardly the case in this example as you already pointed out.

Collapse -
Addendum
by adkinsjm / April 7, 2006 8:27 AM PDT

By the way, it's not as if I am calling them at home on a weekend being upset about a story and then being a jerk by making them read the story at TV.com.

Collapse -
So you didn't "Pogue" them!
by Ravensblood / April 7, 2006 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum

maybe we have coined a new internet term? cool. Wink

Collapse -
In order to "Progue" someone you first have to....
by cardsbb9 / April 7, 2006 2:30 PM PDT

In order to "Progue" someone you first have to find a way to line your own pocket before you go "on air" (on-line?) and make your comments.

Collapse -
to Pogue someone would be to
by Ravensblood / April 8, 2006 2:23 AM PDT

Put someone on the spot regarding a mis-statement and then even after the mis-statement has been conceded attempt further humiliation by forcing them to read their mis-statement.

Collapse -
meh

whatever, it was supposed to be a funny topic anyway. i'm not going to take 5 minutes out of the show to say "hey, oh wait, let me check TV.com to see if, in fact, there are going to be seasons renewed!"

it was a rumor i had heard years ago, wasn't supposed to be a "be-all end-all" statement. ya dig?

V

Collapse -
Ditto
by MacHugger / April 7, 2006 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: meh

The point I was trying to make.

-Alec (the smart one)

Collapse -
TV.com Best Thing About CNET
by adkinsjm / April 7, 2006 7:46 PM PDT

In starting this thread, I just thought it would have been a chance to plug some CNET sites, since they do mention News.com and their own stuff. News.com is why I kept going back to CNET, it was not download.com or even cnet.com. TV.com is a great site IMHO. Enough said and this will be my last post in the thread.

Collapse -
simpsons...
by backfrog / April 8, 2006 3:57 AM PDT

should be cancelled anyway. simpsons now feels like it's being written by commercial writers. i used to stop everything to watch simpsons on sundays. and out of habit i would watch simpsons anyway on sundays. but now i don't even do that anymore.

btw, does veronica have her own podcast now?

Collapse -
nope....
by Veronica Belmont-20381073359499778927797251280312 / April 8, 2006 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: simpsons...

but starting next week i'm doing a show with James Kim, the digital audio and MP3 editor. we'll make an announcement about it soon! Happy

V

Collapse -
I hope you are going to keep doing BOL
by rechellesharp / April 8, 2006 7:53 PM PDT
In reply to: nope....

I have said it before but I will say it again.

Something just works with the three of you guys.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?