General discussion

Call of Duty and OpenGL

I just bought call of duty GOTY edition, and it is not working on my computer. My pc exceeds all system requirments. have direct x 9.0c, updated drivers for my geforce and it starts then shuts down with the error about open gl. It started to initalize opengl and then has an error Pixel Format (pfd). If anyone knows of a known issue or something i may have overlooked that'd be great. Thanks in Advance,

Craig

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Call of Duty and OpenGL
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Call of Duty and OpenGL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a guess..

It maybe you need a opengl compatible card; what video card do you have?

- Collapse -
They all are for the most part

Unless you have some really old, and I mean really old, video card, it's OpenGL compatible/capable.

OpenGL was the original 3D API, and existed long before Microsoft created DirectX as a competitor. Pretty much every single card on the market supports at least OpenGL 1.3, some probably 2.0 by now.

One problem you can run into, is if you're using drivers supplied by Microsoft with your card. Microsoft has a habit of stripping out all the OpenGL support, leaving just DirectX. You need to make sure you're using drivers from either ATI or nVidia (or whomever else made the card's chipset). If it's one of Intel's integrated graphics chipsets, then it's time to start looking for an actual video card if you want to do any gaming.

- Collapse -
Just recently...

I read somewhere that MS was going to screwup openGL (I guess it was the vista windows). If not screwing it up it certainly will try to slow it down and you KNOW they will do just that if they can get away with it.

- Collapse -
It is a MS supplied driver

I think I got the driver from windows update. Going to nvidia website now for drivers. btw i have a geforce fc 5200 w/ 128mb of ddr.

- Collapse -
Suggestion..

Read the requirement for the game; is openGL a requirement for it. DirectX maybe all is needed since you are playing it in windows. Check and be sure that directX is installed properly. Good luck.

- Collapse -
Sort of

They plan on emulating OpenGL on top of DirectX, which will cause about a 20% performance hit automatically. It will also make it next to impossible for game writers, or even video card vendors, to create games/drivers that use new OpenGL functions.

Ultimately I predict the entire thing will backfire in a huge way, though it might take a few years. Of course no one really seems all that excited about Vista, so who knows.

- Collapse -
Problem Solved and Vista Comment

I got rid of the microsoft supplied drivers in favor of the nvidia unified driver. Game runs great now. On the Windows Vista comment, I agree. I think it will be like Windows ME and microsoft should focus on Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, plus fix up the bugs with their media center edition and 64 bit editions of windows XP.

- Collapse -
Same problem solution question

We've got the ThinkPad T22 (XP, Direct X 9b, 256 RAM, 900 Mhz) with the same error on the same machine -- and I got the latest driver from ibm. Still no go on the game with the same OpenGL problem -- i.e., pixel format. Can someone tell me where to find the drivers you mention? TIA --

Kathy

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nVidia drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/

CNET Forums