Speakeasy forum

General discussion

California Supreme Court Voids Gay Marriages in S.F.

If there is a rule that I have to explain why I am putting this story up, it's because it's pretty historic news and affects a lot of people. Those marriages are now null and void. Implications are clear for the rest of the U.S.

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California2/CA_Gay_Marriage_Calif_148653CA.shtml

"The California Supreme Court on Thursday voided the nearly 4,000 same-sex marriages sanctioned in San Francisco this year and ruled unanimously that the mayor overstepped his authority by issuing licenses to gay and lesbian couples.

The court said the city's decision to issue the licenses and perform the ceremonies violated a 1977 state law that defines marriage as a union between a man and woman.

The justices separately decided with a 5-2 vote to nullify the 3,995 marriages performed between Feb. 12 and March 11, when the court halted the weddings."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: California Supreme Court Voids Gay Marriages in S.F.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: California Supreme Court Voids Gay Marriages in S.F.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oops! Nuptials now turn into illicit sexual encounters.

In reply to: California Supreme Court Voids Gay Marriages in S.F.

Too bad it's not Texas. Those nullified certificates could now become prima facia evidence for them to be charged with perverted sexual activities.

Collapse -
James. . . .

In reply to: Oops! Nuptials now turn into illicit sexual encounters.

I know we'll never agree on this one, but it's kind of really bad for these folks now as it is, that they lost their potential "status." We don't have laws against sodomy out here if it is consensual anyway.

Now we probably are REALLY not going to see eye-to-eye on this at all, but I'll go on record anyway. I'd rather see unions between people who feel they are bonded for life (regardless of sex), than have people unable to commit openly. I think it reduces disease and instills a better sense of values, if people are partnered for life, or at least so long as the bond lasts. Even married straight couples don't stay married long these days, but I think it gives an incentive to think twice before walking out on a partner and going on the prowl again.

Collapse -
Slippery Slope.

In reply to: James. . . .

What's next? Brothers and Sisters? Mothers and Sons? Fathers and Daughters? Man and Animal? Woman and Animal? Committed Threesomes? Humans and Androids (aka "love dolls") in Future?

slipping...slipping...slipping.......>>>>HELL

Collapse -
Re: Slippery Slope.

In reply to: Slippery Slope.

There are some people I know who likely would only stand a chance of marriage if your last couple of examples were true, James Wink And those folks claim to be straight!

Collapse -
One more backward step for this country

I've made my point of view clear on this subject before....

As long as gays stay in the closet, they will always be 'allowed' to fight and die for the rights of straights, pay taxes for the rights of straights, buy homes, contribute to society, teach our children, protect our straight citizens, preside over courts, run for political office, etc.

All at the 'mercy' of straights....

Separation of church and state means nothing to straights............fear of some type of contamination by even knowing a gay person is everything.

TONI

Collapse -
The rule of law is not a 'backward step', ...

In reply to: One more backward step for this country

subverting it is.

Gays have the same rights as any other citizen except where they have more.

They can join the military as long as they abide by military regulations--same applies for "straights".

They can own property, drive cars, and even get married if they so desire.

They cannot get married to each other however when marriage has been defined as being between members of opposite sex. Guess what Toni. That applies to "straights" too.

They can't marry their siblings but that also applies to "straights".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Absolutely true!

In reply to: The rule of law is not a 'backward step', ...

Collapse -
In UK, we have a proposed Partnership bill...

Dear Diane,

If of interest, please see the Beeb link below.

Please note that although it is headed "Gay Mariage", many spokesmen involved have said quite clearly that the proposal is for recognition of partnerships and that it is only the media which has translated this into contentious "mariage" headlines. The link is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1752674.stm

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Thanks for the info, Mo! :-)

In reply to: In UK, we have a proposed Partnership bill...

That's an interesting approach to dealing with the situation. I think that may be how some of the situation here finally gets resolved. I'm not an advocate for the situation, but I do recognize that there are a lot of people who feel that they simply do not fit properly into their assigned role in society as being a certain gender with feelings for the opposite sex. It's not only a fact of life out here, but it is very, very common, and it's not like any amount of legislation or counseling is going to make individuals who believe their preferences to be homosexual, to be anything else.

Within the last few years, there have been a number of women at work who have been married for years and years and have (thankfully grown) children, and they have now decided that they are lesbian and are living that lifestyle. Strip away the Biblical issues, and I think that there are far less "legitimate" arguments to the situation. I'll admit I don't quite understand their feelings and can never conceive of changing preferences myself, but I respect the fact that they are still the people I always knew them to be while they were in hetrosexual relationships and what they do in their private life has not impacted anything at work.

To clarify though, my position is that ANY person who acts bizarre and flaunts their sexuality (through clothing and/or act) in public seems somewhat reprehensible. We're heading up to Venice Beach and Malibu in a few hours, and we will be skating through crowds of people with men in leather chaps, with nipple and, um. . ."other" areas not only pierced, but very literally CHAINED to their chosen partner du jour. They walk this way down the boardwalk, and many wear studded dog collars (sometimes being "led" by a partner), and other things that I consider bizarre and quite offensive (especially the piercings and chains plus seeing their butts and other cutouts areas). I don't want to see that on a heterosexual couple though either - or on ANY person for that matter. Yuck! The lesbian women up there also do some pretty bizarre things as well, but they seem to do less chains. Always worries me when I'm on rollerblades, since it's hard to stop suddenly, and these guys try to cross the bike paths where we skate. I've had to ditch into the sand to avoid them at times. I mean, can you imagine how much THAT would hurt if we skated into the chains!!!!

I'm not macking on my husband while we're skating or in public, so I'd appreciate it if they would respect others the same way and not put on displays either, but I'm afraid their displays get rather graphic sometimes. It's that type of thing that tends to make people think the worst of the homosexual lifestyle. Don't know what percentage it is that do that, but I have to think that it is a minority of folks engaging in the freaky stuff.

Collapse -
I'm not sure that we see quite such ...

In reply to: Thanks for the info, Mo! :-)

overt behaviour here; perhaps within the confines of night clubs or perhaps on public rights demonstrations. I suspect the participants' own cognisance of their safety might have something to do with it...

I suspect "hoi poloi" has a louder voice over here, and, forgive me yer'all, with less of an overriding/or undertone of religious considerations - the argument is more about legal monetary rights. FWIW the statistics reported here a couple of years ago were that 1 in 7 men (14%) had had an experience, shall we say. Put it this way, question: "Will there be a vote of 99-1 against?" I guess we wait and see. This is very abstruse; for a detailed response, please see page 395 below.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Ah, lol......such is the life

In reply to: Thanks for the info, Mo! :-)

in good ole California . As far back as I can remember the few homosexuals around Texas always dreamed of having enough money to migrate to the state that grows beautiful oranges and grapefruit. I may be wrong, but isn't California the state with the largest number of homosexual mostly who migrated from elsewhere.

I lived a short time in Glendale, CA (sub of LA) in the early 50's going to Cal Aero Technical Institute of Technology and it was kinda hushed up then.

Ah, since the gold rush and later Hollywood, California has been the forefront of introducing strange what-have-you to the rest of the states.

At a family gathering some good years back in Las Vegas, two of my cousins daughters who graduated from Berkley were there dressed in 'wild' but nice clothing. One had a black looking spot on her nose that was noticeable and I was tempted several times to ask her about it. This was just about the time 'piercing' started in California. My wife was also curious and told me she addressed her about the black spot on her nose while in the ladies room, and we all had a good laugh that it was nose piercing. Who-ever would think that and other weird place body piercing would become popular (outside of Calif).

What I really always liked about California was their introduction of Hot Rod automobile accessories plus custom built cars, and beautiful women as I remember of the old days.

Collapse -
Re: Ah, lol......such is the life

In reply to: Ah, lol......such is the life

Collapse -
Bumper sticker I once saw:

In reply to: Re: Ah, lol......such is the life

"I'm an endangered species - a native Californian."

Collapse -
Me too!

In reply to: Bumper sticker I once saw:

Born in PasadenaHappy

Glenda

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.