Speakeasy forum

General discussion

California sets fines for spyware

by SteveGargini / January 1, 2005 2:22 PM PST

The makers of computer programs that secretly spy on what people do with their home PCs could face hefty fines in California.
From 1 January, a new law is being introduced to protect computer users from software known as spyware.

Well I think it is good that something is being done about spyware, but I am not sure how enforceable the law could be.

Whole story

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: California sets fines for spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: California sets fines for spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And how does California propose to fine an offshore company?
by Paul C / January 1, 2005 6:41 PM PST

That's just the first thing that comes to mind, Steve. It's not that this is a bad idea; it's merely an unenforceable one if the spammer is out of the country - and maybe if the spammer's out of state...

Collapse -
Good point Paul
by SteveGargini / January 2, 2005 1:08 AM PST

That was exactly what was on my mind Paul.
I really don't think that this has been thought through properly.
It will be interesting to find out what they intend to do to enforce it.

Collapse -
might be 'other' ways...
by Dragon / January 2, 2005 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Good point Paul

Should be some way of destroying the guy's puter, if properly done.

Collapse -
I believe there was a Federal law proposed to that effect

last session, Paul -- not sure what happened to it.

Happy New Year! -- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
well thats the catch
by Mark5019 / January 1, 2005 8:02 PM PST

but maybe just maybe if i installed a program and then rad spyware/malware programs and something showed up it might hold up for the fines to the original software maker.

Collapse -
A nice idea Mark
by SteveGargini / January 2, 2005 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: well thats the catch

But would the U.S have the necessary jurisdiction to fine companies in other countries?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Perhaps if they do any legitmate business in US?
by Roger NC / January 2, 2005 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: A nice idea Mark
Collapse -
Trouble with that Roger
by SteveGargini / January 2, 2005 2:01 AM PST

I have heard that members of the mafia in some eastern countries are the sort of crooks that try this sort of thing.
Unfortunately, the transgressors very often do not live in the U.S, or have any legitimate business with the country.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) dont think so:(
by Mark5019 / January 2, 2005 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: A nice idea Mark
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's the problem with this sort of thing Mark :(
by SteveGargini / January 2, 2005 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) dont think so:(
Collapse -
Didn't California also do something in-State
by MarciaB / January 1, 2005 11:47 PM PST

regarding spammers? I seem to recall a thread some time ago about that, and the law applied only to those spammers that were caught in California. Something like that.

Anyway, this is likely the same. If each State and other countries would start cracking down on these jerks in their own areas, maybe there would be fewer problems overall. It's a nice thought, anyway Happy

Good for California! My Southern neighbor

Collapse -
You may well be right Marcia
by SteveGargini / January 2, 2005 1:33 AM PST

Now you come to mention it, I wonder if it is the same piece of legislation.
There is a slight difference between a spammer, who wants to sell his service, albeit in a most disgraceful fashion, and an out and out criminal, who is trying to steal credit card information from somebody's P.C.
It's a bit of a grey area in between the spammer and the criminal.
Steve

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?