TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Calibration Disks

by HBK180 / July 8, 2007 9:12 AM PDT

Hi I have made up my mind to buy the Sharp LC-46D92U and I was wondering what a good calibration disk would be for this TV thats under 50$.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Calibration Disks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Calibration Disks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm..
by ikjadoon / July 8, 2007 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Calibration Disks

cNet actually has a class going on right now about LCD calibration.

"We especially like Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up ($21.95), great for beginners looking for a quick way to tune up their systems, and Digital Video Essentials ($24.99), well suited for experienced home-theater fanatics."

Enroll in the class here. You might be able to calibrate it yourself!

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Calibration
by HTHMAN / July 8, 2007 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm..

The Sound and Vision disk is actually the Avia calibration program (Ovation software) with some of the non-needed special features left off. I have found that these programs are easier to use than the Digital Video Essentials, but I got the same readings with either product.

Also, there is a THX calibration program on all THX disks such as Star Wars. You will need a blue filter or a pair of THX blue glasses that are available on their website.

Collapse -
THERE"S THE "AVIA DISC," TRY AMAZON.COM.......$38 to $42.
by Riverledge / July 8, 2007 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Calibration Disks

WHY DID YOU CHOSE THE SHARP??? PRICE?

Collapse -
HBK180, Sharp pushed LCDs early on, but are not a favorite
by NM_Bill / July 8, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

here in the c/net forum. Samsung is now number one in producing LCDs & as a matter of fact provides Sony with all the LCD screens they use (but have they own "innerds" otherwise.)

Collapse -
Sharp
by HBK180 / July 8, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice on the discs, all though I have not bought the TV yet I have made The Sharp LC-46D92U my front runner mainly because of the great selection of inputs and that it has the fastest response time on the market (for LCD TV's that size)and as a big time video game player that matters to me. I know that there is a problem with "banding issues" but from the response I got only 1 in 10 TV's have this issue; and sharp has been very cooperative in replacing the TV's until the consumer is satisfied. I know the TV got an average ratting, but if the reviewer got a TV without this problem I believe the TV would have received a much higher rating.

Collapse -
PERSONALLY, I'D BUY A SONY OR SAMSUNG..............
by Riverledge / July 8, 2007 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Sharp

"SHARPS AREN'T THAT SHARP" IS REALLY TRUE. YOU'VE made things easier by not yet purchasing. What's your HDTV budget, size limitation, and viewing habits (movies,gaming,sports;etc.) What will it take to talk you out of the SHARP?

.reviRiver.

Collapse -
I don't see what the big deal is?
by HBK180 / July 8, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

The Sharp seemed like it had every thing I wanted. I'm into Video games and Sports(and a good movie now and then). The Sharp's response time is unmatched by any LCD(of it's size), its got just about the best black you can get, and it has tons of inputs. What makes Samsung and Sony so much better? If you look at the specs on this TV they're great for the price. And I already explained my take on the banding issue, so please tell me what sony and samsung can give me that this TV doesn't have (Sharp LC-46D92U). It just seems perfect for what I like(BTW I want a TV under 2,500$ and around a 46" display [LCD]TV).

Collapse -
Not up to us to twist your arm, just well meaning on our
by NM_Bill / July 9, 2007 12:24 AM PDT

part. The latest model Sharp should have had the banding issue addressed by the maker. You have done research & will buy with an informed opinion. Hope you have all the luck in the world. Some of us will still feel a bit more confident in Sony or Samsung.

Specs don't make the experience. Needed inputs are exactly that - needed inputs. I am not a gamer but do have an LCD (with older, poorer refresh rates) & motion blur has never been an issue with me.

Why not take a final look see at a showroom at things like Sony & Samsung - hopefully alongside a Sharp. No I don't hate Sharp. Am just aware of the banding being a real problem that Sharp didn't hurry to fix. That kind of assurance to have the best possible internal processing is what people pay extra for with a Sony.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.