TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

calibrating Hd TV

by buddyluv / November 15, 2004 6:30 AM PST

I am going to purchase the sonykdf60xs955.I think it has the clearest picture I seen including the JVC DILA.My question is. Is spending $450.00 to get it
Calibrated worth it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: calibrating Hd TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: calibrating Hd TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: calibrating Hd TV for $450 = I smell scam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: calibrating Hd TV

If I was the suspicious type, I'd invite the local TV News channel to tape this episode.

Bob

Collapse -
by buddyluv / November 15, 2004 7:04 AM PST

So R.Proffitt does this mean you don't think it's worth it.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 7:12 AM PST

I'm sure its worth it to the person doing the calibration, but I'd approach as if you are being scammed.

The HD TV's I see "out there" are brought home, connected and turned on...

It's your money so make some phone calls to the HD TV support lines. Hint, the makers of such.

Bob

Collapse -
Never heard of such thing until now....
by Art / November 15, 2004 7:13 AM PST

Does the tv picture looks bad now? Of course not..it looks great you said.

Collapse -
Re: Never heard of such thing until now....
by buddyluv / November 15, 2004 8:59 AM PST

I just want the best picture possible for my buck.They even discuss callibration on this web site.
I just asking opinions of you guys whom might be more
knowlegable than myself??????

Collapse -
Let me be blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 11:14 AM PST

There are far too many scams out there. This sounds like one.

I know of color calibration, but such is NOT done in the home. Why would it have to be done there?

Bob

Collapse -
NO!!!!!!!!!!
by mko / November 15, 2004 10:22 PM PST

by default all the televisions are very high key. ie, very bright, very saturated, and very contrasty. the result is a very unrealistic image, imo.

what the calibration guy will end up doing,,,with all his fancy shmancy equipment, is open up(lighten) the darks/shadows to get more detail in those areas....and cut the brightness and saturation a bit. what you get is an image that is less harsh and straining on the eyes.

you can do this yourself. first of all, most people won't know the diff, so why pay $450 to have someone tell you what you should be seeing. everyone sees differently, anyway.

go to steve's digicams and pull down some sample images of people he's taken(this is because the main thing you want is good skin tones). load the images onto your memory stick and pop the stick into the slot on your sony tv. then make your adjustments on the tv until you get what you like(or match the image from steve's site).

i've had this argument before with gizmophiles who get into all this techie stuff.

bottom line is, tv's especially sonys, won't give you a crappy image out-of-the-box. you just have to massage the brightness and contrast a bit. i have 3 settings on my sony....one for dvd's, one for hd in a well lit room, and one for hd in a dark room. dvd's aren't as bright and clean as hd, but i think dvd's look the closest to movies. i just the dvd setting more saturation for added punch.

Collapse -
Re: calibrating HDTV
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2004 3:19 AM PST

Hey buddyluv,

Provided the calibrator is qualified and honest, calibration is not a scam any more than fine-tuning your car by a qualified mechanic is a scam -- i.e. it's worth it if you want a hot rod. That said, $450 for a LCD RPTV sounds a little high to me ($400 is closer to normal). I'd see if you could talk him down a little bit.

For more info on calibration, including the DIY variety, check out our article.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5085739_1.html

-- David

Collapse -
by buddyluv / November 16, 2004 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: calibrating HDTV

thanks Katzmaier.I just wanted to get the best picture
possible when your spending big bucks.For a minute I thought maybe I was imaging the calibration thing?????

Collapse -
by mdj / November 16, 2004 6:54 AM PST

I ordered the KDF-55XS955, should be coming soon. Do doubt its going to need calibration. You pay enough for it it should be fine out of the box. I can see maybe calibrating it later maybe. But i wouldn't let anyone sell me on it.

Collapse -
Four hundred to adjust what we can adjust?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 7:01 AM PST

Sounds very rich to me.

My background is some CCTV design work so maybe its just me that would give such a person the boot.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: calibrating Hd TV
by THE_PUMA / November 16, 2004 12:51 PM PST

NO. Buy the home theatre calibration DVD from Avia first. Its about $30.00 and I use it on every job.

Collapse -
home theatre calibration DVD from Avia 30 buck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: Re: calibrating Hd TV

That's the best advice I've read yet. (Excuse my red M, it's in any post I make).

I'm seeing far too many sales tricks today, so anything they want to sell me past the basics reeks of a scam.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: home theatre calibration DVD from Avia 30 buck.
by slimone / November 19, 2004 4:30 AM PST

no need to buy the DVD, calibration should be a one time thing. go to blockbuster and rent video essentials go through the setup screens and you'll be happy with the result. what a paid pro does to calibrate is use the service menu's to make finer adjustments. either spend $4.50 to rent the DVD and get a better picture or pay someone $450 to get a slightly better result then what you could do on your own.

Collapse -
Re: home theatre calibration DVD from Avia 30 buck.
by THE_PUMA / December 1, 2004 2:38 AM PST

Renting is fine but calibration is not a one time thing. In CRT projection units green phosphors lose color faster than red and blue. And in LCD blue polerizers and panels go bad more quickly. Also in any projection system with a lamp DLP,LCD,or LCOS as the lamp ages, color can distort so it should be a semi annual check if it matters to you.

Collapse -
by bambamrck / November 20, 2004 11:48 AM PST

I have the 60 inch grand vega, I personally don't see any need to calibrate a sony out of the box. Wait till you need to get some service done or replace the bulb then maybe consider giving it a tune up.
P.S. I sell this stuff for living.

Collapse -
by BJ. / November 20, 2004 2:26 PM PST

Hi buddy I've had my Mitsubishi 55in. since 2001 .I paid $400.00 for a 4 year extended warranty. And can have someone come out when I see degrade of picture for 4years at no extra charge.When I saw a little degrade last year they came right out and adjusted it. I can call as often as I like just for your info. Goodluck BJ.

Collapse -
by rajivr74 / November 29, 2004 3:38 PM PST

Hey BJ, that is good advice. Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase the tv & warranty from? That sounds like a good in-home warranty for $400.

Collapse -
by radioactive1 / November 24, 2004 2:36 PM PST

No way. You can calibrate the TV very easily yourself. The owner's manual will provide you with instructions on how to align the TV and if you want to do further calibration, I highly recommend you purchase the DVD called "Avia Guide to Home Theater".

This DVD will enable you to calibrate not only your TV (color, contrast, brightness, sharpness and other settings), but also your entire sound system.

Why anyone would pay someone $450 to calibrate their TV is beyond me, but as they say "let the buyer beware".

Good Luck,

RadioActive1

Collapse -
by BONSPEED / November 30, 2004 5:32 AM PST

i recently bought a used hdtv that the previous owner had calibrated. since this was the first time i've heard of fine tuning a hdtv, i did some research on the subject. cnet had an article about this procedure and they claimed it does improve the picture. $450 seems a bit high for the service. the one thing you want to check is whether the tech is ISF certified. you can get more info at ISF.COM (Image Science Foundation)

Collapse -
by Wholly Kaw / December 5, 2004 3:51 PM PST

I am no expert like Puma but I have to say that I have owned sony XBR's for more than 10 years. ALL of them have had a problem properly displaying red. I have had every sony set I have owned calibrated and it was DEFINITELY worth the $$ to me. In the past to do this a tech would come out to the house hook up an oscilloscope and pull of the back of the set and make some adjustments. In later years there was a service menu that could change all but the most delicate color, focus, convergence, and geometry settings. For those he still had to manually adjust them using his scope.

With the set in question here, an LCD set, its all different. There are no adjustments on the inside of the set at all! All calibration is done via menus. It has been explained to me that there is a service tech menu that is NOT the "advanced" menu that is used to pull back the "red push" and fix the green problem that EVERY sony out of the factory ships with. I don't know what it looks like or how to use it but you would definitely NOT have the set taken out of your house for this to be adjusted, neither would you (or should you) pay $400 to have it done. In fact, I am surprised that the steps to do this are not posted on a AV web site some where. Some one already correctly stated that right in the C-Net reviews it states the starting color temp and the desired color temp after calibration of this LCD set we are talking about.

I have also tried to like the hitachi sets to no avail, but one thing that they do well is out of the box color. See if you can find a store that has both sets and watch for red articles of clothing or pics of hawaii lava or something of that sort and look at the difference between the two. You will see what I mean.... clearly.

I have a lifetime of experience with digital printing / image color correction and was a Hell Scanner and Combi 2000 operator for many years, so my bias is strong to true color. My wife could not care less if things have a magenta tinge. Happy

After much deliberation and fence sitting I just could not give Hitachi or Mitsu the edge over the sony products, certainly not the new ones just released this fall. As far as my eyes are concerned after calibration these sony sets are as good as most of the plasma screens I have seen (except for black level which I am ok with) as far as picture clarity, texture, brightness, etc... I have no problem replacing a lamp now and then for this kind of performance at this price.

Collapse -
by mdj / December 7, 2004 8:58 AM PST

Did notice on my KDF-55XS955 under video menu but set in the Pro mode that i can access the R gain and G gain which i noticed the bar is already to the end. I have not touched it yet till i learn more

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?