General discussion

Cad Operator Looking to upgrade monitor

Im a cad operator, I get bad eye strain looking a a 17" CRT monitor. The company I work for has agreed to upgrade my monitor. I was always under the impression the the CRT monitor is better on the eyes than a LCD doing this kind of work. I've been getting mixed answers on this issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cad Operator Looking to upgrade monitor
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cad Operator Looking to upgrade monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
IMHO, I suggest

I believe you'll find a LCD seemily more richer to the eye than a monitor, however, you should compare against a real good monitor. The real culprit IMHO is room lighting as it will really deminish the value of any viewing screen. While 17in. seems big, most use 19in, if not bigger to best do CAD. I believe here the value of larger viewing screen offers more, regardless of LCD or monitor.
Overall, you get tired eyes from either viewing source.

good luck Happy -----Willy

- Collapse -
17 in for CAD???

What kind of sweatshop are you working in? Homeless shelters have better monitors than that. Seriously, I do the same kind of work and what you need is _high resolution_ as well as a physically large display. CRT is the best for resolution but LCD is catching up. Dell has a very nice 20" LCD that will do 1600x1200 pixels. It's usually around $650 but often on sale for $550. If your cheapskate boss wont spring for that, you are better off getting a 22"CRT at $350 to $450. NEC and Sony both make good ones. Don't bother with smaller LCD because they will only display 1280x1024. CRT vs LCD is a personal preference thing. It's nice to not have a 70lb CRT on your desk but you can't stack stuff on top of a LCD. Happy Good luck.

- Collapse -
Moneys not an issue....

We'll let me expand, We picked up a Viewsonic P225, The first one fizzed out after 10 min. the second 1/3 of the screen is blurred not real bad but not what it should be. I've been out looking locally and no one seems to be stocking the large CRT's any more, I think what I'll go out pick up a 20" LCD and try it out, I'll know after a day or two and if I dont like it I'll take it back.

CNET Forums

Forum Info