General discussion

Cabling question

I am wondering if there is a different type of cable needed for the following situation: from the cable modem to the router as compared to from the router to the computer?
Do I need a crossover cable or will standard patch cables work in this application?
I am going to put an 8 port switch in and wonder which one I need>

Discussion is locked

Reply to: Cabling question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cabling question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
Standard CAT5e Patch Cable Is Correct - For Both Instances

Then patch cable to the switch as well.

Hope this helps.


- Collapse -

No, standard patch cable will work for both.

CNET Forums

Forum Info