TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Cable Versus Sattelite dish for HD quality

Which would you prefer Cable or Sattelite dish for the overall best HD picture and QUANTITY of HD channels as well as the quality of the standard def reception.
I currently have cable and the standard def reception is terrible through the cable box. I ran this thru my built in tuner in my Sony SXRD and it is better but still not as good as I would like. Any thoughts??
Greg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable Versus Sattelite dish for HD quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable Versus Sattelite dish for HD quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

In reply to: Cable Versus Sattelite dish for HD quality

THE QUALITY OF YOUR SIGNAL IS NOT DETERMINED BY THE METHOD (CABLE/SAT) YOU USE, RATHER HOW WELL YOUR CHOOSEN PROVIDER CAN SENT THE SIGNAL TO YOUR LOCATION. IF YOU FEEL YOUR CABLE SIGNAL IS BELOW PAR, HAVE THE CABLE COMPANY CHECK THE EXTERIOR LINES AND CONNECTIONS. MOST CABLE COMPANIES WILL PROVIDE THIS SERVICE FREE OF CHARGE. IMPROPER OR OLD CONNECTION COULD BE PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING THE BEST POSSIBLE SIGNAL.OF THE TWO SAT COMPANIES, DISH WILL GIVE YOU MORE FOR YOUR MONEY (ASK STEWART). HOWEVER, WITH DISH, YOU NEED AN ANTENNA FOR LOCAL CHANNELS. DIRECTV HAS MORE SPORTS (NFL PACKAGE), BUT ENDS TO BE MORE EXPENSIVE. REGARDLESS WHICH PROVIDER YOU CHOOSE, A STANDARD DEFINITION SIGNAL DOES NOT DISPLAY ON A HDTV VERY WELL. Sad

Collapse -
MORE GOOD NEWS FROM DISH NET.

In reply to: DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

They just came out with the new 211 system. If you order basic and the hi-def package you will receive all network stations in hi-def free. The 211 also has h.d.m.i. and d.v.i. output the new unit uses mpg4 technology which is clamed to give yoy an awsome picture I have had my dish 811 system for 2 years and dont plan to upgrade because with the 811 hi-def over the air tuner Iam able to receive 18 local digital channels 9 in hi-def I have basic VOOM and the hi-def package For about $45.00 per month and thants tons of hi-def for me good luck stewart

Collapse -
Cable Versus Sattelite dish for HD quality

Cable vrs Dish vrs Direct???? This is alwise hard to say, difficult to do a side by side comparision.
When I switch to Dish from cable 7 years ago the first thing I noticed was the better picture quality.
SD will NEVER look as good ED(DVDs) let alone HD. Some HDTVs do a better job with SD than others. It is hard get stores to hook up a HD component feed and a SD RF feed so you can compaire. You get to find out when you get the set home. John

Collapse -
DISH 211 HDMI Problem - May be Lawsuit

E WARNED!!!!!! This is a widespread issue!!!

I placed an order to upgrade my DISH HD package.

Today I received my new BROKEN 211vip. As an existing customer I paid $49.00 to get my new BROKEN 211Vip receiver. The HDMI is receiving an audio signal (I can hear it) BUT THERE IS NO VIDEO SIGNAL going out to my Panasonic 42" Plasma.

I just got off the phone with a representative from Dish Tech support. They are aware of this problem and said that they are working on it, but for now I need to use the RGB component or composite cables. I wish they had of told me about this issue when I placed my order and told them so. The DISH rep explained that their sales department is not aware of the problem. OH WELL......TOO BAD FOR us "DISH VALUED CUSTOMERS". Maybe someone should tell sales.

Unfortunately, I invested in a new HDMI card (160.00) and a HDMI cable (100.00) before I was let in on DISH's little secret. They are actually continuing to lease these receivers without telling anyone about this issue.

I told the rep that I wanted to return the receiver, and use my old HD receiver until the issue was resolved. The response was "ALL SALES ARE FINAL" and they would not take it back. They said they were working on the problem....I asked when do you think there will be a resolve....2 days? 2 weeks? 2years? The rep informed me that Dish does not know when the issue would be resolved.

DISH also hooked me into an 18 month contract in order to upgrade. Dish's position is that, even though they knowingly sent me broken equipment, I am still obligated to the 18 months and cannot return the equipment.

I was using a DVI cable with the old receiver and getting a much better picture. This has been a downgrade in picture quality, and I paid through the nose for all of it.

I plan to continue the fight with DISH, but they really don't care, as their position is that they have me under contract, I'm SOL, and the broken receiver may be fixed eventually.

Did I mention that I've only had the receiver for 5 hours. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Collapse -
The HDMI is know problem with dish,,,

In reply to: DISH 211 HDMI Problem - May be Lawsuit

The sales people are not info formed about this, but they should be!
I understand that you are upset!!!
Just use component cables for awhile, they are working on the problem.
Don't buy expensive cables I got very nice 6'HDMI cable at Sam's Club for $23. Sam's has component cables for $16 or so.
When I got my Dish ViP622 I tried the HDMI just to see what would happen
It worked for about one hour, then went blank. The component cables work great fine on my set.
"I invested in a new HDMI card (160.00)" I'm not sure what this is???
Here is a link with lots of info about Dish. John
http://www.dbstalk.com/

Collapse -
Count me in

In reply to: DISH 211 HDMI Problem - May be Lawsuit

I'm a new Dish customer. I ordered an HD-DVR and an HD 211. I have 2 Phillips LCD televisions, with virtually identical specs except of size. The HDMI works perfectly on the HD-DVR receiver, but not so the 211. Dish sales did not tell me. The install tech did not tell me. It took 3 calls to customer support before I was told about the "known problem." What angers me (besides being deceived) is that I had to get component video cables and run them myself. The install tech didn't leave me any.

This and a host of other issues with Dish already . . . I have until 12/31 to cancel and get money back (the 30 day period). I am debating it.

Collapse -
Cable is cleaner in some options

Greg,

Do you only have one TV that will receive a cable/satellite signal? If so, satellite may be the best. But in my case, I wanted two TVs with HD and 4 other TVs with basic cable service. The great thing with cable is that you can use a splitter so that you can use a digital cable box to get HD service where needed, and you can simply send the cable coax to the back of any other TV to get basic cable service without ANY added costs. Since I have 6 TVs in the house, cable made more sense to me. I pay for two cable boxes ($3.00 ea per month) but the other TVs get cable without any added costs. Oh, I don't need a roof antenna to get local HD channels. All is done through one cable. I refuse to have my roof look like an NASA transmission station.

Collapse -
6 TVs in your house!!!

In reply to: Cable is cleaner in some options

Well, you should be able to find one tuned into, or to tune into, the channel you want to watch at the moment.

Collapse -
MY OPINION ONLY

i HAVE HAD MY HI-DEF DISH NETWORK 811 system for 3 years and picture quality is super even s.d. looks nice, well comcast wired my block with there service and offered me 3 days of there hi-def service so I could check it out and believe me the picture was nasty hi-def channels looked jaged and regular channels looked even worse also comcast cost about 30% more for the same service I will stick with satellite thank you stewee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.