TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Cable Splitting

by mancman / January 25, 2006 8:41 AM PST

I just had my basement finished and ready to set up a home theater system and tv. Whe they finished the basement they took an existing cable wire that was running to the second floor and split it to run to the basement. Originally I had direct tv and they said that this cannot be done. that each received needed a dedicated cable line from the dish. Is this the same with cable, and will the picture quality be hurt?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable Splitting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable Splitting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For sat? Correct.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Cable Splitting

You can't split the signal from the dish. You can get a dual head LNA and run one to your existing receiver and another to the other receiver.

OR you take the output of the receiver and split that. But that gets you the same channel on both systems.

Bob

Collapse -
option
by mancman / January 25, 2006 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: For sat? Correct.

I was looking in to Digital cable as an option. will that work. I bought the Panasonic 42 inch ed tv

Collapse -
That does split.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: option

But you need as many receivers as you need...

Bob

Collapse -
LNB?
by mmolnar / January 25, 2006 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: For sat? Correct.

wHAT THE HELL IS AN LNA

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're right I typo'd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: LNB?
Collapse -
cable or Sat
by mancman / January 25, 2006 8:20 PM PST
In reply to: Cable Splitting

Is digital cable as good as satellite or is there a major difference?

Collapse -
Same, same. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 25, 2006 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: cable or Sat

But there's a difference between digital cable and HD cable. And in price. And in receivers required.

Collapse -
well.....
by KaRLiTo525 / January 27, 2006 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: cable or Sat

well i work for the local cable company and to tell u the truth sat. has all digital channels while cable has a tiered service where about 70 channels are still analog but cable is good because u dont have atmospheric interferance. while many ppl would be found inside on a rainy day watching tv not so with the sat. price is about the same while promos vary from time to time.

Collapse -
I just did Cable and I'm happy
by Dan Filice / January 27, 2006 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: well.....

I was sitting at the car dealer waiting to get my car serviced and it began to rain. The TV I was watchng got an Error message and wouldn't work anymore. After 10 minutes of several people fiddling, I discovered their TV was connected to satellite. Another customer said his satellite does this all the time in the rain, and sometimes when the box goes whacky, he needs to uplug it to reset. At that point, I decided I would keep cable and upgrade to Digital and HD. Now, as far as splitting, you can split the ONE incoming cable to a few different TVs with no signal loss. If you don't want Digital service, then you don't need a cable box at all, so long as the TV is cable-ready. If you want the additional features of Digital or HD, then each TV needs a decoder box. I have two TVs with Digital HD service and three with the regular cable service...all from ONE cable. I don't think there would be any way to do this with satellite without having either multiple decoder boxes and/or multiple dishes on the roof. In some ways, cable makes more sense. Yes, I have "tiers" of Digital service and HD, but I don''t need every channel ever available.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!