Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Cable modem, on all the time?

by beatlejoel / November 27, 2004 11:05 AM PST

I have a cable modem and am curious about whether or not it is safe to leave it on, even when my computer is off. Is my computer still vulnerable when it is turned of if I am technically still online?
I am protected with virus scan and a firewall.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable modem, on all the time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable modem, on all the time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cable modem, on all the time?
by luapo / November 28, 2004 1:00 PM PST

You are Safe to leave your Cable Modem on all the time. If your computer is OFF there is little or no possible way for your security to be breached.

http://www.mopo.ca

Collapse -
by Coryphaeus / November 28, 2004 11:49 PM PST

Can you talk on a phone if it's unplugged?
Can you watch TV if it's turned off?
Can you do anything on the PC if it's turned off?

You're safe.

Collapse -
by beatlejoel / November 29, 2004 1:43 AM PST

A simple "your safe would have been sufficient". You could have done without the smart comments.

Collapse -
Wasn't intended. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 29, 2004 2:18 AM PST

to be a smart comment. Just wanted you to think about it and used some comparisons and some logic. If a device is turned off it's not accessable. Be it a computer or any electronic device.

Sorry if you took it that way.

Wayne

Collapse -
Re: Wasn't intended. . .
by beatlejoel / November 29, 2004 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Wasn't intended. . .

No problem, I understand. It is just that I am a little new to computers and am not 100% sure how they work. I just figured it is better to be safe than sorry and ask any question I might have, no matter what commom sense tells me.

Thanks for the info though!!!!

Steve

Collapse -
by JoshHendo / November 29, 2004 10:40 AM PST

Ok. My opinion. It really depends what you mean by "safe". If you mean the safe as in "safe from hackers and spyware", well, yess, because your computer needs to be turned on to be able to access any files over the internet. The other thing I mean by safe is your modem. If you don't use it that much and/or only got it because it was cheaper than having 2 phone lines, I would turn it off if I were you. The reason for this is black-out's and lightning may "kill" your modem. This can realy only happen if your modem is turned on. Even if you have a power surger, I have one, and on 1 occasion it didn't work. It has probablt saved my modem a few times, but there is one time where it didn't. Just a hint. Also, If you don't plan to use it for a long time, I would turn it off and un-plug all the cords. I only reccomend this from past experience.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) modem dosnt need to be on to be hit
by Mark5019 / November 30, 2004 12:53 AM PST
Collapse -
by jim c / December 3, 2004 4:13 AM PST

Your modem can be fried by a lightning strike even if it's turned off and unplugged. The lightning can come in through the tv cable. I had a tv get fried that way. It was unplugged from the wall outlet but still got hit through the cable.

Collapse -
Cable modem, on all the time?
by kidzdad / March 11, 2006 5:28 AM PST

If you have good antivirus software that you update on a regular basis and use a firewall (Windows XP, Service Pack 2 has a good built-in firewall) and you leave your computer on all the time, you still would be pretty safe. Keep in mind that if you turn your modem off all the time, then every time you turn it back on, it has to acquire the cable company signal each time and go through its startup sequence. I have a network setup in my house and I use a router to share my internet connection with two computers. My modem is on 24/7. No problems to date. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?