Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Cable modem debate, need advice

My son and daughter live in North Carolina, I am in California. They just got cable internet. The want to run 2, possibly3 computers on this. I have always set up my local networks using a router, and added a hub if i need to add more devices.

They have been told that a hub is all they need. Price difference between hub and router is only about 15 bucks. I think they need a router,but they think a 4 port hub will do. This hub has an up link port on it, but I had always been told to use a router with cable modem.

I want to find out if I am right or if whoever told them a hub will work is right. I always used router because of NAT, IP etc. I am really curious as to whether a hub will work. Thank you for all answers and advice in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable modem debate, need advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable modem debate, need advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Model number please.

In reply to: Cable modem debate, need advice

There are some cable modems that come with all in one modem, router, wifi and organ grinder.
Bob

Collapse -
The cable modem model is Motorola SB5101

In reply to: Model number please.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, but I found out the model number. I don't know if its true or not but the claim is that it could be hooked up with a hub or switch using a cross over cable.

thank you

Collapse -
That one is "just a modem"

In reply to: The cable modem model is Motorola SB5101

If you need to share the connection, just about any router+wifi box will do.

Collapse -
Without a router they will needto use ICS

or "Internet Connection Sharing". This would use a hub or switch. One PC would play host to the others. It would need to be turned on for the other PCs to be able to get on the internet and handle all the traffic. ICS comes with more headaches than aspiring can alleviate. You don't want to recommend it to people you like.

Collapse -
As above. . .

the good old boys danced around your question. Wink

For a home network they need a router. The router assigns IP addresses and comes with Wi-Fi. A hub won't do either one.

For additional devices in excess of four wired connections, get a switch. Wi-Fi will handle over 120 (depending on who you talk to the number is somewhere 128 and 212) wireless devices.

Cable modem -> router -> toys. Maybe even an organ grinder if it has and Ethernet port.

Collapse -
Report back and thank you all

In reply to: As above. . .

I sent them a Linksys Router that I had sitting around. Took almost 2 weeks for the post office to deliver it, but they hooked it up, booted both computers and are off and running.

My son is kicking himself for buying a hub instead of router last month. They lost time, and could not return or exchange it after opening it. They tried ICS until the router got there, they confirmed the headaches.

Thanks for all the help. As an aside, I told them to get a router, not a switch or hub, when they were going to the store. A salesman told them that what he was selling would save them money and do the job(they had 10 units for every router there, so he was overstocked. What a way to reduce inventory).

Thanks again. Now if I can just find me an Ethernet organ grinder for my own desk.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.