Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Cable modem + Belkin Router occasional problems

by Joliet Eddie / November 11, 2008 12:13 AM PST

Internet access is via Time Warner Roadrunner using a Motorola cable modem. Have a Belkin wireless router set up to broadcast WiFi. My wife and I access from Toshiba laptops with internal WiFi cards. Usually all is well with pretty good speed.

Then every once and awhile (once every two weeks or so, sometimes weekly) the wireless connection remains okay, but we get "local access" only over the wireless network. We can see each other's machine, but can't get on the net.

This is solved by rebooting the modem and router and we're back surfing the web. I have to reboot both devices to regain Internet access. Neither laptop needs to be rebooted however. They just reconnect automatically to the wireless router.

What causes the internet connection to drop out like this? Although this is a minor annoyance, is there anyway to prevent this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable modem + Belkin Router occasional problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable modem + Belkin Router occasional problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What causes the internet connection to drop out like this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2008 12:34 AM PST

Bugs. The bug could be code in the router which you check on Belkin's web site for updated "firmware."

Another issue is that not all features work in all routers. In our forum sticky we offer a suggested setup. Did you try that?
Bob

Collapse -
Belkin firmware
by Joliet Eddie / November 11, 2008 3:11 AM PST

When I bought the router a few years ago, I had checked reviews on line. The Belkin got pretty good reviews and was a cinch to set up, but there were a few negative comments about the firmware not following good code writing or something or other. When it runs, it's solid, but as I described sometimes it loses the Internet connection through the cable modem. Screwy. Seems like a firmware to me.

I have not checked lately for firmware updates from Belkin. Last time, some time ago, that I checked, it seemed like they had moved onto newer models and weren't upgrading older firmware. But I'll check again.

I did set up the hardware as described on the forum sticky. Looking through this forum, my problem is pretty lightweight compared to those experienced by others.

Perhaps I need to simply get a newer model router.

Collapse -
Then I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2008 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Belkin firmware

If the firmware is current and you have it setup exactly like we propose then it's time to replace it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.