TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Cable for subwoofer

by tnguyen92 / March 19, 2007 1:58 AM PDT

Hopefully someone can help. I am installing a new 5.1 system for my house and am having some difficulties with the subwoofer connection. My house is prewired for the speakers and the sub. The sub connection is in the opposite corner from my receiver. It looks like the cable is a coaxial cable. I've never used another cable, other than the cable that comes with the sub that comes with the RCA jacks. Is this the same type cable?

I went and got some adapters and fit some RCA jack and hooked things up, but my subwoofer did not work. Maybe my connections are loose, but I wanted to ask before I spend more time and money trying to get this working. Please let me know if you have some ideas. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable for subwoofer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable for subwoofer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MORE INFO!!!!!!!!!!
by jcrobso / March 19, 2007 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable for subwoofer

What type of connectors dose your sub have on it??? John

Collapse -
by tnguyen92 / March 19, 2007 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: MORE INFO!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's an RCA jack.

Collapse -
OK, I assume that it is a powered sub.
by jcrobso / March 19, 2007 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: RCA

You need audio cable that has RCA plugs on it, hook one end to the Sub RCA jack on the receiver and the other to RCA input jack on the sub. John

Collapse -
it is a powered sub
by tnguyen92 / March 19, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

I bought RCA jack connectors that fit onto the coaxial cable and then I connected the cable to the sub and receiver. I didn't get any sound out of it.

My question is, can I use a coaxial cable as an audio cable or am I climbing up the wrong tree? I'm not sure what the difference is. I normally just see coax cables for video.

If I can use the coax cable as an audio cable, then there might be a break in the line (it's all behind drywall) or maybe my connections are loose.

Collapse -
"can I use a coaxial cable as an audio cable ?" YES!!!!
by jcrobso / March 19, 2007 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: it is a powered sub

Audio cable is coaxial, but designed for audio frequencies. RF coaxial cable will work for audio, but not the other way around.
Try running a audio cable across the floor and see if the sub works. John

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?