Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Cable for subwoofer

by tnguyen92 / March 19, 2007 1:58 AM PDT

Hopefully someone can help. I am installing a new 5.1 system for my house and am having some difficulties with the subwoofer connection. My house is prewired for the speakers and the sub. The sub connection is in the opposite corner from my receiver. It looks like the cable is a coaxial cable. I've never used another cable, other than the cable that comes with the sub that comes with the RCA jacks. Is this the same type cable?

I went and got some adapters and fit some RCA jack and hooked things up, but my subwoofer did not work. Maybe my connections are loose, but I wanted to ask before I spend more time and money trying to get this working. Please let me know if you have some ideas. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
MORE INFO!!!!!!!!!!
by jcrobso / March 19, 2007 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable for subwoofer

What type of connectors dose your sub have on it??? John

Collapse -
RCA
by tnguyen92 / March 19, 2007 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: MORE INFO!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's an RCA jack.

Collapse -
OK, I assume that it is a powered sub.
by jcrobso / March 19, 2007 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: RCA

You need audio cable that has RCA plugs on it, hook one end to the Sub RCA jack on the receiver and the other to RCA input jack on the sub. John

Collapse -
it is a powered sub
by tnguyen92 / March 19, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

I bought RCA jack connectors that fit onto the coaxial cable and then I connected the cable to the sub and receiver. I didn't get any sound out of it.

My question is, can I use a coaxial cable as an audio cable or am I climbing up the wrong tree? I'm not sure what the difference is. I normally just see coax cables for video.

If I can use the coax cable as an audio cable, then there might be a break in the line (it's all behind drywall) or maybe my connections are loose.

Collapse -
"can I use a coaxial cable as an audio cable ?" YES!!!!
by jcrobso / March 19, 2007 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: it is a powered sub

Audio cable is coaxial, but designed for audio frequencies. RF coaxial cable will work for audio, but not the other way around.
Try running a audio cable across the floor and see if the sub works. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!