Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Cable &D-Link 604 Router & what 2 way Firewall for Both....

a SP1 +++ & a SP2 computer?
Have posted in Periphrials but no responses yet. Info on both computers in Profile.
Although my new router has a built-in incoming only FW, I am considering 2 way ones for each (hopefully the same) compatable with router.
I have heard/read that ZA 5.0 was a complete disaster with many reverting to ZA 4.5. ZA 5.5 may meld better w/ MS Security Center(SP2) but will it work w/ SP1 (no sec.Center). Will 4.5 work with both? I note both Kerio 4 and ZA 5.0 are listed on MS SP2 affected program list.
If another (Sygate or?)compatable for both?
Won't go SP2 on desktop since can't afford to replace $800-$1000 worth of asst'd software still more or less functioning(hotfixes), where new drivers aren't available. Maybe hopeless. Thanks in Advance. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cable &D-Link 604 Router & what 2 way Firewall for Both....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cable &D-Link 604 Router & what 2 way Firewall for Both....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
if you choose`

to use a software firewall then Sygate Personal (free) or Kerio Personal (free) are great choices, however, behind a router with the ICF enabled (SP1), most would feel pretty comfortable, but others, like myself, like to know what also on the system is going out, and not just coming in, hence a software firewall. If looking for just free, then the two mentioned above are my recommendations, if money isn't really an object, then the best one, imo, the one i use is OutPost Pro (50USD or so).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for reply. Would 1 or Both work w/ SP1 & SP2?

In reply to: if you choose`

Collapse -
Just noted(in search) your post re: Tests of F/W & D-link..

In reply to: if you choose`

and noted my ICF was fully stealthed by GRC but my new router (D-Link 604) showed port 113 as closed instead of stealthed (bad). If I use ICF behind router, would this negate the port 113 exposure?? Would with Sygate?? Would a Link-sys test better (if I can return D-Link)?
I generally am concerned with getting notified of any rogue/trojan/keylogger trying to call out hence idea of 2 way. In screenshots, Sygate seemed easier than ZA for me to understand. Thanks again for your attention!! Happy

Collapse -
go to an older version of Kerio

In reply to: Cable &D-Link 604 Router & what 2 way Firewall for Both....

v.2.1.5 available at DSL Reports.

have used that since before my router, and now, in conjunction with XP-SP-2 firewall.

this is a rule based firewall and after you install it will write some default rules for you.

you can also get additional rules set up and once this is done you can even disable your router, as I have, from time to time, and surf safely.

Collapse -
Thanks for reply, David. My last expierence ....

In reply to: go to an older version of Kerio

with Kerio 2.15 (on 98SE) was so bad (after studying for 60 hours b-4 installing) that I un-installed it. That still left me with a non-working computer and eventually led to reformat to solve. It was completely my fault as I clearly was/am incompetent to deal with setting up such! Ended up with a heart attack from the stress of it. Agreed: for those who know, it was/is a good one. Happy

Collapse -
be glad to help if you ever change your mind

In reply to: Thanks for reply, David. My last expierence ....

even supply you with screen prints of my rule sets.

btw I first installed it on my Win 98SE and subsequently on WinXP.

Collapse -
Thankyou for the offer, David ! The Kerio was perfect....

In reply to: be glad to help if you ever change your mind

for the 98 as it had by far the smallest foot print (really necessary in 98). My first mistake was being connected to the net while trying inital(erroneous) configuration
(Drama, Tragedy, & now: LOL). Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.